Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wayner2000

Easter Egg Plant

wayner2000
18 years ago

Hi, I grew this baby from seeds I planted in the very early spring. When I planted it I was under the impressin that it would be something entirely different. To my surprise it turned out to be a beauty........Wayne

{{gwi:22511}}
{{gwi:22513}}

Comments (18)

• Josh
    18 years ago

What a strange plant...are the "eggs" sort of soft like yellow crookneck squash or hard-surfaced like small gourds? Would they dry do you suppose without rotting? Can you give us the botanical name? josh

• FlowrPowr
    18 years ago

I could be wrong, but I think it's an eggplant. I seem to remember reading that somewhere, and it looks just like the eggplants in my garden.

• wayner2000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Josh, the plant comes from the family name: Solanaceae, the Genus is Solanum and the Species is Ovigerum. The eggs are not ediable, it is an annual and the eggs which contain seeds will turn yellow. It's a great conversation plant in the garden and truly unique.....

Hi FlowrPowr, it is considered an ornamental eggplant, isn't it great...........Wayne

• FlowrPowr
    18 years ago

Wayne, thanks for the good plant info. I'm glad that you clarified that isn't edible. I would have hated for someone to try eating them because I called them eggplants! :) We had a plant at the nursery last year that we called the pumpkin plant. It had little orange fruits that looked just like tiny pumpkins. I think that it was in the eggplant family also. I hope no one tried to bake a pie out of them!

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Wayne, very impressive. I'm still waiting for my plant to lay eggs ;)

Sharon

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

Oh, I never did get my seed planted this year. Guess I'll try it anyway, next spring. I like them, thanks for posting the pic. I'm always on the prowl for "unique" stuff. Your garden looks so tidy, Wayne. Pretty!

• rosesheppard
    18 years ago

A friend of mine gave me a start-up piece of what you called an Easter egg plant. It grew very well and is producing many eggs at this time. How do I winter this plant so I can grow more next spring? Do I harvest the eggs, dry out the plant or just let it alone? Please advise me if you can.
    Rose Sheppard

• dedie
    18 years ago

I know this topic is old but after doing a search for this plant I arrived here and had to register. I want to know where to find seeds for this plant. Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance.

• dedie
    18 years ago

Well, I guess no one can help and that's ok. I will keep searching till I find :(

• singleton165
    18 years ago

Park Seed has seeds. I've considered ordering them for a couple of years - and I just might get around to it this year. I think I've seen them at Walmart as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easter Egg Plant seeds

• Pieonear
    18 years ago

That's a neat plant! Am I dreaming or is their a plant similar to this that produces colored eggs?

• stresseditch2
    18 years ago

My mother-in-law and daughter both had and loved this plant. Being in Ontario, Canada is not often condusive to year round growing of such ornamental plants though! My mother-in-law brought her easter eggplant in off her balcony in the fall, let it sit in her apartment through the winter and let it dry right out. The pods or "eggs" remained on the plant but dried out beautifully. She now has the equivalent of about 3 packages of store bought seeds from this one plant!
    And mammie, in doing an online search of this plant, I noticed that the pods do come in a variety of colors!

• Pieonear
    18 years ago

Thank you, Stressed! Maybe I'm sane after all. LOL

• dedie
    18 years ago

thanks a lot "singleton165"

You just made my whole year!

:)

• c_gehrts
    17 years ago

i found these seeds in a parks seed catalog you can order a free catalog from parks or for the last two years i have gotten mine from a lady off of ebay her name in ona lee and her site is www.onaleeseeds.com or just look up easter egg plant on ebay i had one last year and only got one egg however it was my own fault and not any fault of the plant or seeds.. i hope you enjoy it.. by the way have you seen the ornamental pumpkin tree those are a nice conversation piece as well

• gardfan
    16 years ago

Can i grow easter egg plants as house plants?

• khoaitaynuong
    15 years ago

Hi, by accident I come here and see this kind of vegetable. Exactly the eggs are ediable, a very common food in Vietnam. I love it. Someday if you come to VN, I'd love to make it to you. I love seeing them and eating them too. We can eat them raw with some spices.

• denawestbrook_rocketmail_com
    12 years ago

Mine just bloomed about 2 months ago it was very white ...now it is turning yellow..i live in Florida so when should i take it indoors into my garden room?This is the first bloom and it bloomed 1 egg.Help....:)I want it to grow next year too :)

Here is a link that might be useful: facebook