Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzdee_gw

cherry belles and supertunias

mzdee
11 years ago

Hi

First year growing these. Love em love em loooove em! I was hoping to snag a few seeds, but I can't find any. In Lowes today, I saw some dried out plants on the clearance rack. Took one of the dried pods and it was empty. Has anyone had any experience with getting seeds from either plant?

Comments (11)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    11 years ago

Hi, this is from the Proven Winners website:
    "Purple Wave is propagated from seed, whereas Supertunias are propagated from cuttings." I know I've had my Waves reseed in my gardens, but I never noticed the supertunias reseeding. I guess that's why. : )
    What kind of flowers are cherry belles?

Kat

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

a lot of these petunias and callibrachoas are actually sterile (to flower all summer, right) so seeds are not to be found - mostly they are propagated by soft tip cuttings. Wave petunias are one of the most reliable seed raised petunias though, and seeds are usually easily sourced.

• mzdee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Campunula
    Seems like such a waste, right? There had to be seed somewhere in the history of this plant. But nope, no seeds. Blooms are done and I'm left with pretty green foliage. Was pretty while it lasted.

• pippi21
    11 years ago

When you buy the supertunia why not take some cuttings off each plant before you plunk it in the soil and try mulitiplying your stash that way..if there are not seeds? I don't think you can beat PW supertunia plants..my favorite so far has been the supertunia bubble gum pink with deep blue verbena..but in 2013, I plan to try some other varieties of the PW petunias..that Bordeaux is calling my name loud and clear. I did not like "It's no picasso" or whatever that catchy name is. I putted them up and they just became too leggy and floppy in the pot. I cut them back and that didn't seem to help much and they didn't seem to hold up to the 100 degree temps and i would have thought since they are a drought tolerant plant, they will pass my expectations but I know people who have been in PW trials and she made same observation and notated it and PW dropped her for her honest obeservation. They wouldn't listen to her honest opinon and observation and this lady is really an experienced gardener and knows her stuff.

• mzdee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So yeah. Left that pot of supertunias (actually cherry star) on my deck last Fall. This spring, its is full of cherry star supertunias and starting to bloom. I couldn't find the seeds and I didn't do any cuttings. It just did what it did and boy am I thrilled! My wave petunias self seeded. They were purple, but the self seeded ones are purple, lavender, deep purple, pink and white. And the original pot is filled to overflowing. Give me a 'tunia and Mother Nature any day of the week. Its a good Spring :)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    10 years ago

That's what I liked about my waves reseeding...never knew what color I would get. Most were like the originals, but I did get several different colors over the yrs too.

• mzdee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of the reseeded purple wave petunias. I'll upload the now blooming supertunias later as my first pic was blurry. That one is the color of the parent plant.

• cspt
    10 years ago

So, any use of deadheading the apparently sterile callibrachoas, because we are trying to get more blooming going. . .

• mzdee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deadheading keeps them neat. Last year mine were done by mid to late august with blooms. Foliage stayed green until Fall. Here is a pic of this year's bloom. Lots of new buds; so I'm guessing bloom period will be the same.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    10 years ago

My calibrachoas bloom until frost. They're heavy feeders and I fertilize once a week with 10/15/10. Every so often I'll trim some stems back so they won't get too leggy. They'll sprout more side stems and more flowers. As for deadheading, you don't have to. I just love these flowers and all their colors.

Kat

• mzdee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katusha, I added some Epsom salt this morning since I knew we were in for a downpour. The petunias are on steroids. Since I took the first pic, they are have overtaken the container and blooming like crazy. The cherrybelle has tons of unopened buds, so by the weekend, she should be a prize.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner