Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growchemome_gw

Over wintering Diamond Frost Euphorbia indoors

GROWCHEMOME
9 years ago

Hi everyone

I've used this awesome plant in the past but really didn't have any place for flowers in the last few years since we rented. Now we have our own home again with a huge yard and I've gone overboard buying not only container plants (mostly annuals) but we've started landscaping as well with perennials.

I decided to get the annual Pennisetum (fireworks variety I think) and plant some mounding annuals around them in whiskey barrels to go in our front yard. I usually use Lobelia (I think that's the proper name) in blue and white like I have in the past. I absolutely love the bright true blue colors. Maybe it's the different location since we've moved , but they're not lasting like I remember.

I started with 3 small 4" pots of Diamond Frost from the Home stores alternated with 3 marigold plants around the center planted Pennisetum. At first it was my least favorite planter since the white didn't show much and they seemed to not be doing too much of anything. Fast forward about a month and I just had to remove the marigolds that were being forced out by the massive Diamond Frost. It is absolutely stunning. The best part is, it's easy to care for and doesn't seem to be choking out the Pennisetum but coexisting perfectly. It's so pretty in the wind watching the grass plumes gently sway in the breeze along with the gentle movement of the Diamond Frost.

Enough gushing so let me get to my question. Does anyone have any tips on overwintering the Diamond Frost indoors. Lighting, water, container size, trimming requirements would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• 715rose
    9 years ago

OMG! Diamond Frost is the easiest plant to grow from cuttings.I do have a greenhouse but would try it in a cool sunny window ..I keep it cut back until early spring then let it grow so as to have pieces to root.Just put in a shallow container of potting mix & every one takes off..Cuts will lose leaves but you will soon notice top growth.
    Rose

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its a registered trademark name...

which might mean its patented

which would make propagation illegal ...

ken

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I overwintered Diamond Frost a couple of winters by potting and keeping in a cool area under fluorescent lights. Decided it wasn't worth the bother and expense. Too many other plants that I also overwinter.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 21:17

• GROWCHEMOME
    Original Author
    9 years ago

grandmamaloy:

I'm not sure about trimming them since I haven't tried it before, but I might try to overwinter two pots to see if I can trim them or not and how that affects it. I'm just afraid they'll get too large by Spring, but then again if their in a cooler house with less light and water maybe that will help contain them. I started out with 3 little 4" pots and they are spilling out of my whiskey barrel! Hopefully it will work, but if not I've only lost $10-12 in purchasing the parent plants. Might as well try :) Thanks for the tips!

715rose:

I've heard that they only grow in water, but maybe they grow in soil for you since they're in a greenhouse? I might try using some rooting hormone that I'm picking up this week and see if that helps. Where do you clip the cuttings and how far/where on the cuttings do you plant them? Any other tips you could share that work for you would be awesome!

ken_adrian:

I did know it's registered, but I'm only using it for my own personal use in my household, not making any profit. I'm pretty sure no one will knock on my door :) Thanks for the info just in case!

mnwsgal:

Did you not have very good success or just didn't think it was worth it for you?

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

They did alright and even bloomed inside. Think I also had problems with white flies. Just not worth the bother for me as have too many other plants that aren't prone to white flies.

In the early spring I buy a 4" plant and clip the branches so that the clipping has a nodule then use rooting hormone and put in potting mix or vermiculite inside a large plastic bag or a clear plastic pot to trap humidity. Be sure the bottom nodule is in the mix. Can usually get 2 or 3 extra plants this way.

• 715rose
    9 years ago

As I remember the cuttings were 3 or 4 inches long & not too spindly & with a node near the surface.Nearly every one took.I've had white flies but never on Diamond Frost.I didn't have to use plastic bag or rooting hormone.They will drop leaves but the stem is what is important.I don't remember if I put on my heat mat. Doubt it would be necessary.Hope this helps.
    Rose