Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marigolds won't bloom

Posted by brockthegreek 7a OK (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 23:20

I planted a packet of Burpee Snowball Hybrid Marigolds back in the Spring and they won't bloom. The buds get to the size of a pea and then just stop growing. As you can see from the picture, this is happening to all of the plants from that packet. I have other varieties of marigolds planted on each side of them and they have been profusely blooming. They get plenty of water and are fertilized around once a month. It's got me stumped. Anyone have an idea?
BTG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marigolds won't bloom

Very puzzling. Have you tried contacting Burpee? Since it's their seed, they may have some insight. You plants look perfectly healthy, except (maybe) that the foliage is much lighter. That could be normal. But it could be some kind of deficiency.

o

Well Donna, I guess they just aren't the heat lovers that the other marigolds are. After a couple of weeks of sub-100 temperatures, they are finally blooming. Maybe it is something to do with the type of hybrid they are. I'm curious to see if they set seed. If they do, I wonder what type of flowers will develop. Maybe some selfed or crossed with some of my other marigolds.
BTG

o

I planted several beds of marigolds and some of them are
now blooming, much later than some. I have some large yellows, blooming and a pic of some late ones . I don't know
the name but know they are late bloomers. like these.
Happy gardening, caroline

From Marigolds

o

Hi Caroline,
Your picture looks like Scarlet Starlet. The ones I planted bloomed early with my others. The white ones seemed to be the only ones that would make a bud and stop growing. I'm glad they finally did. Here's a pic of one.
BTG
From Flowers

o

BTG, your white one is beautiful, I never did have
white ones. Well, maybe I planted mine later than usual.
I was planting marigolds and zinnias at all different
times thru the summer, I still have some just now
budding in a huge pot. I never have kept the names of
these. Thanks for looking. Happy gardening, caroline .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here