Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmsc_gw

Tidal Wave Petunias

mmsc
16 years ago

Hey,

It's my first time growing the tidal wave variety from seed, and so far they're really fast growers(compared to other petunias). I'd like to know if they should be pinched like regular petunias, or should I just let them grow? They seem to branch out on their own (picture). I'm also aware that they are heavy feeders.. so can I start fertilizing right now or wait till they get bigger? I plan on using them on window boxes and hanging baskets.

Thanks,

Mauricio

{{gwi:22696}}

{{gwi:22697}}

Comments (12)

• calliope
    16 years ago

The pinch question depends on how you are using them. For boxes and baskets, I prefer the easy wave, then the original wave and lastly the tidals in that order. The reason is the tidal waves have a lot looser or 'stringier' growth habit. They are very rapid growers, yes, and I like to use them as filler in garden beds, and they twine in between other plants, and fill in empty space and provide reliable bloom without the high maitenance of pinching. They're often referrred to as hedgifolia, or hedge petunias as if they're planted closely enough together, they'll grow upwards into a hedge form. Planted farther apart, they'll grow more prostrate.

In making windowboxes and baskets, one usually wants the fullness in a petunia, along with the draping. So that when the plants grow out over the edge of the basket and flow, they also are substantial and not stringy. The tidal seriers has a longer internodal length, and will be more angular and open. You'll need to do more pinches with them to keep them full.

• mmsc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your reply! I am also growing about 15 waves/easy waves so I'm still not sure which plants I'll be using in the baskets. I just thought the tidals would look good after seeing some pictures in the forum gallery (link).

Thanks again,
    Mauricio

Here is a link that might be useful: Tidal Waves in baskets

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Thanks Mauricio!

You can start fertilizing anytime now, but start off with 1/2 strength. Pinching will definitely keep them compact and bushy.

This years' Petunia Silver Tidal Waves.

{{gwi:22698}}

Sharon

• mmsc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Sharon, so the pictures were from your garden! You have the most amazing petunias, nice job, and thanks for the tips! I'll start fertilizing them this weekend.

Mauricio

• mmsc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm about to plant all the petunias in their boxes/baskets and was wondering how many waves should be planted in 45cm (18 inches) boxes, and 12 inches baskets? I want them to look real full.

Thanks again!

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I would plant 1 in the 12 and 2 in the 18, they grow quite fast and they do spread.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

{{gwi:22699}}
    Here is Tidal Wave Cherry taken today.

Sharon

• mmsc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here I am again.. The petunias really took off and are looking great, but I have a question on fertilizing. PanAmerican Seed says I should use a fertilizer such as 10-10-10 at 300ppm N. Okay, I made the 300ppm solution, but how much should I add?

Usually the amount of fertilizer is based on the container size.. but shouldn't it be based on number of plants? I mean, my 18 inches window box has 2 plants in it.. but it could have 1, or 4, right?
    Hope I made myself clear, and sorry for the bad english!

Mauricio

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

You guys kill me!!!! My petunias were HORRIBLE this year! What am I doing wrong??? Or to be more specific, what are YOU doing that I might not be? Please give lots of details...I love petunias, and don't want to resort to having to BUY them every year!
    Thanks!

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Full sun here in zone 2b.

Faithfully fertilize once a week with Miracle Gro 15-30-15. Mauricio I just fertilize as is, making sure the container is thoroughly watered, the excess will drip out.

Only water when needed, they donÂt like wet feet, nor do they like to dry out. Hanging baskets may need more frequent watering, perhaps as often as daily, depending on their size/ volume of soil and weather.

Occasionally deadhead seed heads and cut back every other stem to keep them bushy and compact, if you do this all summer long, youÂll have blooms right up till frost.
    If they get really leggy, shear back, keep in mind that it may take a couple of weeks for them to wave back ;)

Sharon

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Thank you! I really appreciate the tips. Also, I'm starting to make my "fertilizer list" for different plants I have around the yard, so that reference is also invaluable! Thanks!

• SMC_1
    9 years ago

I bought a pre-planted pentunia window box last summer that was beautful. I am going to use that box this year, but plant it myself. What variety of wave petunias will be best? Last year's blooms were large and full and not too tall,....they trailed a bit but not too much. Also, for an approximately 30" long, possibly 6-8" wide box, how many plants. Thank you!