Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanandpinchy

My Tithonia never gets the memo

MeanandPinchy
9 years ago

This was the third year I've planted Tithonia 'Torch'. I love them, butterflies love them, bees love them and so do hummingbirds. The first two years were in two different spots at my old house, and this year at my new house. It can't be the location, and the seeds have all come from different sources, so it's got to be something I'm doing wrong. They grow healthy, they bloom beautifully...and they're 8 to 11 feet tall. I've waved the seed packets in front of them and showed them articles on my phone, describing the height at 5 to 6 feet, but they don't listen. I like them planted behind zinnias in the "butterfly greeting area" on the south side of the house, but landscaping attractively for flowers taller than my ranch-style house isn't easy. They get about 11 hours of sun over there, the soil on that side drains well and tends to be slightly dry, but again, they didn't get the height memo. It's not even rich soil; it's average at best. What am I doing to create giant, mutant Mexican sunflowers?

Comments (3)