Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Quiz and fun - what are those on the surface of the lake

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

This is a picture taken in Lijiang, Yunnan, China in the 50s. The lake is called the Black Dragon Lake. The mountain is Yulongxueshan or Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. The picture was taken in the spring. The area is of zone 8-9.

Now, what are those on the surface of the water? I have always thought those are spring blossoms fallen on to the lake.

{{gwi:23811}}

Comments (10)

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Some type of water lily?

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Cherry blossoms!

• art33
    10 years ago

Baby birds of some kind; white cranes perhaps?

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I second the cherry blossoms.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

juju is rather precise of what forums he/she posts in ...

so wouldnt it be an annual of some kind???

and water lily ... is not an annual ... and they call it something else .... a more exotic name .... ahhhh .. lotus ...

got me stumped.. if they used the right forum

ken

• florauk
    10 years ago

It doesn't look like an annual, nor is it any of the above suggestions. I'll take a punt on a Sagittaria, maybe S japonica, although I'm not seeing the right leaves.
    {{gwi:23812}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by florauk 8/9 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 5:43

The Americans know a relative the duck-lettuce Ottelia alismoides: here.

Quote: Ottelia alismoides was first found in Florida in 2003. The duck-lettuce was growing in Thompsons Bayou, a small, slow-flowing tributary of the Escambia River. The infestation contained several plants along the shoreline adjacent to the University of West Florida campus and appeared to be intentionally planted. A systematic survey conducted later in the year found less than one patchy acre of duck-lettuce in the tributary. Biologists removed as many specimens as possible, but complete eradication may be impossible. The tributary is home to a diversity of native plant species, including Echinodorus cordifolia, Orontium aquaticum, and Potamogeton pulcher, and widespread eradication of Ottelia alismoides may cause more harm to the preserve. Due to the increased salinity of the river a few miles downstream, Ottelia will have a hard time spreading. The USDA and DEP are continuing to monitor the growth of duck-lettuce to determine whether or not it will become an invasive species in Florida.

The plants in the picture, however, are of an endangered species - Ottelia acuminata (Gagnepain) Dandy, J. Bot. 72: 137. 1934, link here

This species is intolerant of slight water pollution, climate and environmental changes. They vanished for a couple years. Eventually a small population was located in a high altitude small pond. The plant is a symbol of pristine water quality.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 11:45

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a spring without O acuminata in the Black Dragon Lake.

{{gwi:23813}}

They are actually very fragile. One bottle of detergent will destroy them within a week, while other plants love the fertilizer :)

The US might try the chemical method to control ducklettuce O alismoides if there is a real need. In general, these are not the fast spreading kind and they need warm, soft, shallow and crystal clear water.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

do i win the CLOSE ENOUGH award with water lily/lotus... for those in the audience that are not hardcore botanists????

lol

have a great day

ken

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 7:40

They are not related :)