Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best fertilizer for snapdragons

Posted by liz_h 7/8 DFW Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 22:53

Hi all. I usually read and post on other forums, but thought I'd be most likely to find someone here who knows the answer to this question.

I have 2 sustained release fertilizers. One is specifically for pansies, and is 7-11-7, with several micronutrients. The other one is 14-14-14, also with micronutrients. Which one would be best for snapdragons, or would either one do fine? I'll be planting in containers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best fertilizer for snapdragons

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 23:23

The 7-11-7 is suggested for pansies because they are generally grown under cool conditions, which makes it difficult for plants to extract P from soils. Plants (including blooming plants) generally use P at approximately 1/6 the rate of N, so the 7-11-7 supplies about 9.5x more P than the plant could ever use (based on supplying the proper amount of N). The 1:1:1 ratio fertilizers (like 14-14-14 or 20-20-20 are a little better choice, but they still supply 6x more P than plants require, again based on supplying N at adequacy levels.

Better than the 1:1:1 ratio fertilizers would be something in the 3:1:2 ratio like MG 24-8-16 or 12-4-8. Foliage-Pro in a 9-3-6 blend has all the essential elements, including Ca & Mg, which is pretty unusual. If you want to stick to the CRFs, Osmocote makes a Pro Plus (the minors) in a 19-5-9 formula that should be very good.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here