Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

How much cold can a wonder eggplant tolerate?

mcgyvr2009i
11 years ago

I need to know how cold hardy a wonder eggplant is. I can't keep it indoors for some reason, it's defoliating. I need to keep it outside as much as possible. Right now, I bring it in every time temperatures fall below 50F. I feel like it can withstand cooler temperatures. Can you tell what temperature my wonder eggplant can withstand? Thanks in advanced!

Comments (4)

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I don't know that eggplant, but I have eggplants in the garden and they can take a light freeze. I don't think 50 is low enough to cause any damage to yours, even in a pot. Actually, 2 of mine are in large containers and they made it through last winter just fine, with a couple of light freezes.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

You know eggplants aren't annuals? They are perennials and are vegetables. You might get better response if you ask this on the vegetable forum. I've had them live 4 years, until a really hard freeze killed them.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wonder Eggplant is also known as ornamental eggplant or easter eggplant. So, it's not a real eggplant. The fruit isn't edible.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You can count on it being taken out in the first frost or freeze. I would empty the container, and store it away for next year's plant. I take it that you enjoyed your Easter egg plant? I've never grown one but they look interesting.