Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Next project: LONG border of marigolds with...???

Posted by MMQCHDYGG Z5NH (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 05 at 12:18

Since I have such wonderful luck with marigolds, I have this massive project that I'm planning on undertaking next season: lining my entire driveway (300 ft+) with marigolds. My question is: what companion can I plant WITH them that will also flower throughout the whole season into fall until frost sets in? My marigolds are still going & going & going, and I'm very happy with them, so want something that is equally as hardy & low maintenance.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Next project: LONG border of marigolds with...???

The only thing that comes to mind is cosmos. They flower for me prolifically all season. And they come in every color imaginable. Just look for one with the right color and height that you desire.

Tracy

o

I see ageratum still blooming here.

o

Creeping zinnia! Still blooming here in Minnesota!
Image hosted by TinyPic.com

A liitle hard to see here, but red ratibida. Also small zinnias:

I forget the name of this -- strawflower? Amazing bloomer. Hard to photograph because it's so shiny:

Nasturtiums, especially these variegated ones:

But, now, take a look at these marigolds with cannas (this is from a garden in England -- the others are my gardens in different years.)

Be sure to post photos when your marigolds are blooming!

o

What beautiful pictures! For companion plants to marigolds there are lots of things to choose from. I like blue ageratum with yellow marigolds, the blue and yellow are such a nice combination. Cosmos is a good choice too, you can get the orange, red-orange and yellow types, or the pink and white kinds. Zinnias are a good choice too, they come in all sizes and colors. Petunias are also an option, although they get leggy late in the season, if you cut them back they'll keep going. I assume its a sunny spot, so vinca works well. My vinca went through the terrible summer drought and just kept blooming. Nasturtiums also look great with marigolds, the red and orange colors complement it well, although mine stopped blooming when the temps got in the 90's here. I assume you'd prefer to not have to water often, since it's such a large border. Cosmos, vinca and nasturtiums can take it if if it gets a little dry. Being a lazy gardener, those things are important to me. Good luck!

o

You know a lot of people pooh-pooh marigolds but Im a big fan also. They are easy to grow...keep blooming all summer...likewise they are still going here...and help keep aways pests. I use them to fill in spots of color all over the yard.

I second the vinca....another favorite of mine. Mine have kept going in the worst of conditions. They actually came up volunteer by last years seed in one of my poorest/driest gardens. Stawberry Fiels Gomphrena would be cool with marigolds. In fact I think I might do those together next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here