Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stock (Mathiola)

Posted by EdwinR none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 15:18

My Summer Stock plants (Matthiola incana) look healthy enough but there is no sign of any buds. I sowed them late, in mid June I believe. Can they flower in the autumn? It is between 1 and 7 C outside and dark till 8 a.m. and after 5.30 p.m.. I have them in my kitchen window facing south. Is there anything I can do to get them to bloom? My balcony is glazed, faces south and I try to keep a temperature there of at least 10 C if that would be a better location for them. I would very much like to get them to flower and to be able to coilect seeds from them for next year. Thank you for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stock (Mathiola)

I've never had much luck getting any stocks that I sowed late to bloom in fall (although they germinated and grew just fine I don't know if it is a decreasing light cycle issue or not.

This post was edited by kimka on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 10:25

o
RE: Stock (Mathiola)

Thank you for answering. As long as they are growing I shall hope. At this time of year it is only light between about 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. but my cherry tomatoes still produce fruit. They are on my glazed balcony. I try to keep the temperature at between 10 and 15 C. Outside it is about minus 5 C. Last year I let them freeze 30 November though they still produced flowers and fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here