Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
changing fruit bearing time in annuals

Posted by Matthewz none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 15:55

Please help! Is it possible to make an annual plant bear fruits in its natural off season time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: changing fruit bearing time in annuals

is this a vegetable question???

many plants are in tune with the inclination and declination of the sun ...

you start to mess with them.. under lights.. changing their sun cycle.. the word escapes me ...

obviously.. this would be near impossible outdoors ....

one can manipulate any variable.. in a greenhouse ...

more facts.. if you want a more precise answer ...

is it spring or fall in Malawi???

ken

o

Matthew, ken is correct.....just about any plant can be artificially manipulated by temperature, lighting, and chemical growth regulators to perform according to our time table, not their natural cycle.

(Ken....do you mean 'photoperiod'? And Malawi is entering the fall/winter season. It's also the rainy season.)

Annuals might be a bit trickier than other plants. What plants are you thinking about?

o

i couldnt decide between photo-period and photo-sensitivity ...

anyway... it is possible to do magical things.. under lights.. in winter. .in the house ...

IF and only IF... you were to perfect. light.. humidity.. watering ... etc ...

i am not sure you would need the chems .... if you were the one ruling the sun ... the light ....

a greenhouse would really help with humdity ....

i have no clue how it could be done in Malawi ... but its a pleasant concept to think about ....

ken

o

In Malawi, mango trees flower in hot dry september and ripes around hot wet Nov, Dec en Jan. I want 2 make it flower in Jan en ripe around warm wet march en april. Isn't it possible?

o

the easy answer is that you can not fool mother nature ...

unless.. as repeatedly noted.. you were to take the whole into a completely man made environment ... wherein you could manipulate every single variable ...

that can not be done with a tree in the ground ... by the average gardener ....

ken

o

Thanx Ken en rhizo 4 ur contributions. Perhaps am jst being over ambitious! I'll jst try 2 search 4 early en late maturing hybrid mango trees.
Again, Thanks guyz!!

o

perhaps you ought to be looking for 2 or 3 OTHER plants... with successive blooming ...

why are you fixated all on mango ... even early or late ones.. are not going to fill the year with fresh fruit ...

step out of the mango box.. and diversify your taste buds ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here