Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytony2

Annual Flowers for a Raised Bed

tonytony2
10 years ago

I am growing annuals in a raised bed. In the past two years, I grew marigolds. For some reason the stems dried out and looked unhealthy.

Please suggest other annuals that I can grow that will get about 12 inches tall and stay healthy all summer.

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

thomas.. it would be better.. if you figured out why they failed.. rather than moving on to something else ...

marigold is near bulletproof ... so i wonder what went wrong ...

i suspect improper watering.. or poor soil as backfill in the raised bed .. and do note.. one is a function of the other ...

you didnt happen to take any pix of them .. this summer??? .. if so.. post them.. and maybe we can help ...

otherwise... buy one of everything offered in spring.. and experiment.. with them all ...

growing seed of one kind.. it will take you decades to find the perfect plant...

more info.. if you want more help ...

otherwise.. simply google 12 inch annual flowers... and you will get long lists of possible plants ...

it would help to know what big city you are near ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Michael, I'm one of those who won't grow marigolds anymore. Perhaps it's more of a southern issue, but marigolds are enormous spider mite magnets for me....hopelessly so. Plus, there's that deadheading thing. I don't do deadheading, anymore, lol.

I'll recommend little Zinnia angustifolia, one of my stand-bys year in and year out. It's very easy to grow from seed and will absolutely for you from spring until the first heavy frost.

Though it only comes in white, yellow, and orange, the colors are sparkling bright all season, never fading or getting tired looking in the hottest part of the summer.

( For some reason, I'm assuming that your beds are in the full sun, but that may not the be case. Let us know.)

• tonytony2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I did some internet research and I thought it could have been spider mites.

I grew zinnias and they were beautiful but the leaves kept turning brown. Thanks for your comments. I will follow up on them.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Thomas, as you probably know, there are many, many different kinds of zinnias. Some are notoriously susceptible to diseases but others are happily carefree. Any plant that I grow has to be adaptable to the hard clay soils native to this area.

The little zinnia I mentioned is a baby rock star, as far as zinnias go.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I want some of these Zinnias too!

Having any single plant look good all summer at a certain height is very tricky, especially in a long growing season like where you are (7b.) I don't think there's enough info here to suggest much. How's the soil? Does it tend to stay dry or moist? Do you want to water, or neglect? Would you be interested in occasional trimming to keep plants a little shorter? Also assuming full sun.

• tonytony2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purpleinopp., I do not want to water very often, the raised bed is in full sun, and I do not mind some trimming. The soil is excellent.

You have a good point. I should be looking at several annuals the stay about 12" high.

• Donna
    10 years ago

Some that I have had very good results with here in east Central MS are: Zahara, Magellan, or Profusion zinnias, Angelonias (Serena and Serenita are easy to start from seeds), Cataranthus (Vincas) of all kinds and sizes, Gomphrena, especially Buddy, Victoria Salvia, lantana (sometimes perennial). I love Marigolds in the fall. I start them in pots from seed the first or second week of July. They go into beds to replace things that are pooped (usually because of not getting a mid summer cut back) in late August or early September. They bloom non stop until frost in November. I have never had problems with spider mites on them at that time of the year. And yes, they do need deadheading, so I don't overdo the number of plants I put out. Their colors just work so well for fall, so I am willing to pay the price.
    You probably know, but just in case you don't, use a good organic mulch on your beds to minimize the amount of watering the plants need. Keeps down weeds too.

• mister_guy
    10 years ago

Could your soil be TOO "excellent"? I have burned both zinnias and marigolds with overfeeding. Too much nitrogen and dry soil is rough on any small flower.

• grandmamaloy
    10 years ago

Hi Thomas,

Growing in a raised bed is also similar to growing in pots. Nutrients get used up more quickly and many annuals, due to their free and heavy flowering nature require A LOT of feeding. Once a month is standard in garden beds, but in containers or raised beds you might have to feed twice a month. I suggest Jungle Flora. It has always worked really well for me and is safe to use anywhere!

You should probably also test the pH of your soil and amend it as needed.

Enjoy your garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Food for Flowers (and soil amendments)