Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How cold hardy are weeping Lantana?

Posted by shelli563 zone 6 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 07 at 7:30

I have two weeping Lavender Lantana in hanging baskets (the plants are 5' long) and they are still thriving despite having several gentle frosts already. The days have been in the 50's. They are somewhat protected because they hang at the edge of an outdoor porch.

I plan to trim back the plants and bring them in for the winter. I don't want to do that prematurely if they can handle the cold outside, but I don't want to kill them either. How cold can they tolerate it? Any advice on when to bring them indoors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How cold hardy are weeping Lantana?

They are hardy in the ground here, where our lowest temperature is listed as zero degrees. It's less risky to let them stand until spring without cutting them back, especially if your winters are wet. Hanging baskets might not make at as low as zero degrees.

o

They can take some frosts, however, the top will start to die when it gets below freezing. How are your night temps? I'm in 6B zone and it's going down into the 30's here, then a brief warmup in the 40's at night. When I see the leaves with a purple hue, then I use that as my last safe point to save the plants. My lantana hangs on until around Thanksgiving/early Dec., then I let it die out. Now whether the roots are still viable at that point, I can't be certain. If you want to save the plant, I wouldn't wait too much further. The poor plant will have reverse shock, from freezing cold to warm inside temps...LOL. With warmer temps these days, you may get a little more time outside with the plants, though.

o

The nights have been in the low 30's and even some high 20's. I've noticed some purpling on the top of the plant, but everything else looks good. The next two nights are expected to get into the high 20's again with a slight warm up, so I'll put them in the garage until the "warm up", so I can keep them outdoors as long as possible. After that, it's in the basement where it will get a trim, tiny bit of light and little water (the temps will be over 32 degrees). I figure this will simulate dormant conditions and hope for the best for the spring!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here