Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenrr_gw

looking for a plant that blooms mid-summer

ellenrr
10 years ago

I want to hide the remnants of dianthus, which blooms beautifully in Spring, by mid-summer it is done, and remains brown and ugly.
Would like something that blooms in mid-summer, and up to the time it blooms, is not so high that it hides the dianthus, which is about 6 inches high.

thanks.

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

for me.. in z5 MI ... sounds like 4 oclocks would work ... they are really slow to get going.. from seed in spring.. due to cold soil ... and really dont start blooming until August some time...

but alas poor yorrick ... i dont know the timing aspect for your backyard ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I don't think that I've ever had my dianthus turn brown on me. The spent flowers look terrible, but they can be snipped off in a jiffy. I love the blue foliage of dianthus and would be pretty bummed if the whole plant browned out.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

What about planting an annual that would grow to cover the dianthus by mid-summer? I'm picturing zinnias, which I love for their ability to attract butterflies and other insects.

Martha

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

What about Sweet William 'Wee Willie'?

• ellenrr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks all. yeah, zinnia is an idea.
    I'm planning to plant them anyway. Last year they were the stars of the garden, and attracted loads of butterflies.

• grandmamaloy
    10 years ago

Lobularia (Sweet Alyssum) is a good option. It will grow in the same type of conditions as dianthus and maxes out at about 8-inches & blooms through late summer to early fall and it smells heavenly!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobularia (Sweet Alyssum)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Hmmm...I think of Lobularia as a cool season plant.....like many members of the Brassicaceae family.

• dbarron
    10 years ago

Yeah, lobularia looks pretty sad in July or August here.

• Donna
    10 years ago

You could try vinca (Cataranthus). It comes in lots of sizes from nearly two feet to six inches. Pick the size that works for you. It's about the most foolproof and reliable annual in the Deep South zone 7. (It's helpful if you always include your state when you post.)
    Some others that would also do well would be Serena or Serenita Angelonia; Zahara, Magellan, or Profusion Zinnias; Victoria Salvia, Gomphrena, or even lantana. All of these will bloom their heads off in the highest heat of my summer here. If your bloom season is very long like mine (April to November), you'll want to give them all a good cutback in mid summer to keep them looking their best into fall.