Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snapdragons over winter

Posted by cayugalake 5NY (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 5, 05 at 10:10

My tall snapdragons are still looking good.

But, winter has to come eventually !

In hopes of getting some of them to survive, should I

- cut them back?

- mulch them with ... what?

- water them well?

- pot one or two up and bring them in?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snapdragons over winter

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 5, 05 at 10:55

They'll likely survive in (containers in) an unheated garage against the wall of the house. I grow dwarf varieties as bonsai & have some that are 4-5 years old. Those, I over-winter under lights in controlled humidity.

Al

o
RE: Snapdragons over winter....wow.

Bonsai snapdragons ! I would love to see a picture !

Thanks for the advice.

o

They winter over here in Missouri, in the ground, with no mulch and get bigger each year. They are in glorious bloom right now!

o

Sun, Nov 6, 05 at 14:04

C - I can't send photos through GW, but if you send me an e-mail, I'll send a photo of some plants in development.

Al

o

I just mulch mine with leaves and most over-winter in my zone 6. We have had very mild winters lately, but it does get well below freezing.

gld

o

Overwintering in the ground will depend on if you have a mild winter. In my zone, I usually have some that come back, that are in a protected location. I also let them set seed late in the season and get spontaneous plants that way: although they will be behind in growth to those that have been started from seed indoors.

I had really spectacular tall ones this year too. I'm thinking about gathering some seed and maybe starting it indoors myself to preserve this variety.

o

I overwinter snapdragons here, but I'm in Zone 7, and it's very dry in winter. Both the warmer zone and the dry seem to be essential to their survival.

o

Mine are practically evergreen all winter I don't do anything for them. We have had temps in the 20's and mine are still setting blooms.

o

I had one last year, about 2ft tallby winter, when I Ws'ed, still there, When Spring rolled around, still green and beginning to grow, by early summer it grew at least 4 ft tall until storms blew it down, and even then the new buds and leaves before original was shooting up. I was totally shocked since I understood it to be 'an annual'...

Just try whatever you might and see what happens... ;)

G_M

o

Only a few times, here in upstate NY, did I have a mild enough winter to have snaps return. I mulch them heavily with leaves each year, before the ground freezes (against the general rule). The ones that did winter over grew back huge, with 1" thick stems, like a shrub! They're perennials in warmer climates, tender perennials (treated like annuals) up here in NY. It's always worth a try each winter.

o

Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 13:24

I took these pictures today. I usually don't let buds remain on the plant because it slows development, but I did on this plant for you guys on the forum. (I've learned to post pics don't you see.) ;o) Click on image to enlarge.

Before a haircut:

After a slight pruning:

I think this plant was started from a cutting in the spring of '04. I'll work on developing one more back branch and a crown over this summer. By fall, it should be a cutie.

Al

o

Snaps as perrenials in warm places! Weeell ya learn something every day! :-D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here