Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snapdragon companion for pots

Posted by iris_gal z9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 18:02

I popped for some pastel pink and peach double snapdragons for pots this year and having a terrible time finding a low annual that really flatters them. Alyssum and lobelia don't seem too great. Googled -- zilch. Anybody have an idea? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snapdragon companion for pots

Awww, I was going to suggest alyssum! :-) What about pansies in a contrasting or complimentary color AND alyssum?

o

How about blue daze Evovolus or white Bacopa? The bacopa does well in cool weather, and they both like full sun and they are low growing. Nasturtiums?

o

Bingo on the pansies - went to the nursery & bought mellow pinky-violet with dark blotch.

No Evolvulus (same as Evovolus ?) at nursery. Had one that died over the winter. But I got a Convolvulus. Love them both.

Bacopa - hadn't thought of that. Or nastursiums. Thank you. Never thought these pretty snaps would be difficult combiners.

o

Since double snapdragons are so full-on and visually complex my thoughts would go to something plainer as a foil, probably a foliage plant, and maybe a trailer, as a contrast, rather than more flowers. Something like Helichrysum petiolare (probably perennial for you). But maybe under a stronger sun than we get adding yet more colour could work. All a matter of taste.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 12:47

o

Thanks Floral. I agree. You've put your finger on the problem. The pansy I got is called 'Mammoth Pink Berry' and altho I was reluctant about its bloom size, its color, and plainess, seemed to work. If the pot in full bloom looks well I'll share a pic!

Heliychrysum petiolare is a rampant perrenial grower here. Even a rooted cutting takes over. Needs a belligerent companion to keep it in check.

o

That's a pretty pansy, iris gal...I love that color. I'm also a fan of of the clear hybrids...they serve the purpose of an accent plant beautifully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here