Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_gal

Senetti� - like a cineraria

iris_gal
10 years ago

New plant at nursery that looked like a small cineraria (4-inch pot), leaves almost rubberish. Googling says it's genus is Pericallis, a sub genus ? Developed by the same Japanese co. that hybridized the first 'Million Bells'. Senetti� Introduced to US in 2004 !?!

I have a love affair with the self-sowing Cineraria stellata and have never seen it for sale here. Senetti� is supposed to be from 12 inches to 24 inches.

Does anyone have this? Will it grow to 2 ft.? Does it reseed? TIA

Hmmm, the trademark sign after Senetti disappears in the preview.

Comments (13)

• zen_man
    10 years ago

Hi iris_gal,

This forum has problems with extended fonts in message bodies and titles. Apparently you were wanting to say Senitti⢠and one or more forum bugs kept you from doing that, both in the title of your thread, and in the body of your message. I think we need to report forum bugs with respect to extended font sets.

ZM

• zen_man
    10 years ago

Oops. I misspelled SenettiTM in the message above.

ZM

• SusanC
    10 years ago

Hi iris_gal,

I also love the stellata form of Pericallis x cruentus, AKA florist's cineraria and have it self-sowing all over my garden. A couple of years ago, I bought some Senetti plants and threw them into the mix. I now get quite a few seedlings that have smaller leaves and larger flowers than the typical stellata form, so the genetics have become a part of my breeding population. I also notice that I get blooms over a longer period of the year. -I had some plants bloom during the summer and I have some plants blooming now. It's nothing like the spectacular early spring display, but it is still nice to see a few of their lovely faces here and there.

Regarding height, I would say my Senetti plants were probably around 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall, so about half the size of the stellata form. My Senetti-ish seedlings are all around 3 feet tall.

P.S. Annie's Annuals sells the stellata form.

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ZM. That explains that.

Susan, that is good news. Only solid magenta was offered in a neighboring town so can't run over for 1 plant. grrrr. I do have one pilfered stellata that I hope reseeds this spring.

It was in your area I saw pony pacs of stellata (in the 90's) - small tucked away nursery in the Piedmont area. Alas my adobe was not improved enuf then to allow self-sowing. I bet they look wonderful with your house/garden. Why does the bay area always have the good stuff! Thanks much for the information.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I got a couple of these year before last and they didn't live long enough to be planted in the ground. Are they sensitive to heat/humidity?

• SusanC
    10 years ago

They need a cool climate to do well. The stellata form has naturalized in many older gardens right on the San Francisco Bay, so they like it cool and foggy, but can't handle more than a very, very light frost. -The ones in my garden put on their big display when daytime temps are high 50's/low 60's and nighttime temps are in the 40's.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Aha, it would have to be mostly cloudy to have weather like that here. There's usually a bigger gap between night/day temps. TY, Susan! I will resist these if I see them again, like Fuchsias and tuberous Begonias that succumb to the same fate. They are extremely pretty, not easy!

Hope you get what you are looking for, Iris_gal, and that they are super-happy where you live!

• SusanC
    10 years ago

Fuchisas and begonias of all sorts are some of the biggest stars in my garden. I have to shield my eyes and walk away from things like gardenias and firespike. If it loves the heat, it can't come home with me!

Forgot to add earlier that Pericallis is also day length sensitive and needs a short day to flower. Senetti was bred to be less day length sensitive and also more tolerant of heat. I think it is both of those things but only to a small degree, sort of like 'early' and 'cool season' tomatoes.

Iris_gal: If you would like stellata seeds just let me know, and I can send some to you.

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sweet if you Susan! I'd love some. Shall email you thru gardenweb.

• SusanC
    10 years ago

Hi Iris_gal, just letting you know that I replied to your email!

• grandmamaloy
    10 years ago

Hi Iris Gal,
    Yes, it should reseed. In fact, everything I've seen on Senetti Pericallis says you should remove the seed heads if you wish to control their growth (which makes them more like a perennial if you just let them go). I don't think it will get to 24" but will most likely reach about 18". They are gorgeous and Senetti breeds good stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: Senetti Pericallis

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

(Susan C. - think your email went astray .... I've had problems with Gmail's compatibility changes.)

Beautiful Senetti in your link Grandmama Joy. They all froze at the nursery in our unusual temps the week before Xmas. The one stellata I have is protected with overhanging branches and shrubs blocking cold ocean winds. It's bushed out to about 10in. x 10in. No spider mites, no mildew, no chomped leaves --- fingers crossed.

• SusanC
    10 years ago

Hi Iris_gal,

Just letting you know that I sent some seeds out to you on Christmas Eve. They were inside of a greeting card. I hope they didn't go astray; maybe they are in a pile of mail? Anyway, if you didn't get them, I am happy to resend. Just let me know. I sent you an email just now as well. Let me know if you didn't get it.