Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdgardengurl

Help!! I need to grow flowers for my daughter's wedding!

mdgardengurl
18 years ago

Hi - My daughter's getting married in September '06. She wants me to grow the flowers for the wedding - colors burgundy, peach and beige. I grew great Glads and Hollyhocks this year, but am not real good with flowers in general. I'm a veggie gal... Most of my flowers were pretty well spent by Sept. this year. Can anyone tell me what flowers can be grown fairly easily to harvest in Sept?

Thanks so much for any help you can give!!

Comments (9)

• putzer
    18 years ago

I know there are lots of people here who know much more than I, but Dahlias would be a beautiful addition to any bouquet.

• faltered
    18 years ago

Sunflowers are great and easy to grow. Chianti is a nice burgandy color. There are also a few others in that range.

Zinnias flower profusely and come in an assortment of colors. I grew "Profusion Mix" and had some peach and some beige flowers this summer.

You might also want to try some mums- they look great in arrangements.

I'm in a different zone than you, but I had all of these flowering in my garden in September.

Congrats to your daughter and good luck! I am going to grow some of my own flowers for my wedding next September, too.

Tracy

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

I'll second the dahlia suggestion. They come in a wide variety of colors and shapes and hold up well when cut.
    Perhaps some annual statice; zinnias, although they can be bothered by mildew; coneflowers; some of the herbs have nice flowers- small but good for fillers. Hydrangea might be a good choice.

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

Snapdragons

• Patty_WI
    18 years ago

I'm not in your zone either, but here are some things that are in bloom then.
    Calendula- johnny's catalog as 'antares flashback' that has blooms in shades of orange, peach, apricot, yellow, and cream with maroon/red undersides.

Amaranth- opopeo or hopi red dye are great burgundy vertical accents
    Celosia- you could try a burgandy cockscomb variey Johnny's also carries this.

Cosmos- it comes in burgandy also.

Gaillardia- (blanket flower)

Grains and grasses- Purple majesty millet, is beautiful with sun flowers. Wheat, oats, pampas grass, broom corn for the beige.

Statice -sunset mix(johnny's) blooms in apricot orange peach and red. Cut the first flush off and you should have a second flush in the fall.

Strawflower- apricot/peach mix (johnny's)

Sunflowers- My favorites are moulon rouge an almost choclate sunflower, and bashful which is a dwarf sunflower that has tinge of burgandy near the disc.

Yarrow- a great filler it comes in apricot shades and can bloom first year.

Zinnias and dahlias come in many colors as stated above.

I 2nd the mention of herbs. I like to use them in my bouqets. Dill seedheads are a buff color and add a nice touch. Bronze fennel has an anise smell that many enjoy. I also use basil, dark opal or purple ruffles work well. Sage, rosemary, parsley and oregano work as fillers also.
    Patty

• mdgardengurl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! There are many that I hadn't even thought of at all. I'll have Dahlias for sure...I have a friend who has a zillion different varieties of them to share. Glads, too - I had some beautiful peach and deep red colors, and green, for unusual accents. I'd like to get some Cannas with the variegated green and red leaves, definitely baby's breath. I'll grow cosmos, zinnias, burgundy sunflowers and calendulas. I hadn't thought about using wheat and millet or grasses for the beige color - great suggestion! I've also got a nice bunch of lemongrass for fillers, and herbs of all kinds. I will probably purchase roses, also. This is so exciting! :)
    Thanks again to you all!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    18 years ago

what a typo.....lol

PRIORITIZE AND DECIDE IF THE DAY OR TWO BEFORE THE WEEDING.. YOU WANT TO SPEND IT COVERED IN DIRT IN YOUR GARDEN..

that should have been the DAY BEFORE THE WEDDING ... lol

ken

• quaker_paula
    16 years ago

Hi,

It is now July 2007, and I wish I had encountered this topic three months ago. I would have planted some of these flowers mentioned. I've been stressing out over our drought-impacted flowers and hoards of Japanese beetles. The sunflowers took forever to take, and something kept eating them. What was a beautiful garden last year looks very sad this year (I moved here last year, so I feel guilty for undoing the previous owner's work).

I have talked with vendors at the local farmer's market and may bring in a bunch of flowers for table decorations--that is helping me keep a little more unstressed. I have enough to occupy every day between now and the wedding (in three weeks), just picking Japanese beetles off the garden and crab apples off the ground! Ken's advice has helped me keep things in perspective, and everyone else's advice will go into my notebook for planning NEXT year's garden! :D