Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Sweet Peas: How to keep alive after 1 ft?

ladyrose65
9 years ago

I've tried growing Sweet Peas. They get to about 1 ft or less then dieback to nothing? What gives? They are expensive seeds yet, they are so pretty. I want to try my hand at them again this season. I watched some youtube videos. Don't know what I am doing wrong? I have very enriched soil.

Comments (16)

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I don't know what is up whether you are being sarcastic or that is your 'sense of humor'?

I have good soil. I just have too much phosphorous in it from last soil analysis.

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Sow them as early as possible; they love cool temperatures. The link below has some additional info.

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet pea info

ladyrose65 thanked jaynine
  • ladyrose65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank You Jaynine.

• mister_guy
    9 years ago

I have good soil. I just have too much phosphorous in it from last soil analysis.

I don't think he was being sarcastic or humorous really much at all. Just like we can overeat and get sick and die, some plants are too gluttonous for their own good and will quickly kill themselves in the presence of an abundance of resources but thrive when they need to struggle. I kept killing marigolds in pots by over fertilizing them, treating them the same as all my other porch flowers. Peas and beans will both burn off pretty easily when fertilized, in my experience at least. I have a nasty habit of over feeding I'm trying to cut back on.

ladyrose65 thanked mister_guy
  • dbarron
    9 years ago

Ken has a unique writing style. He means well, and he's usually accurate. Legumes (peas, beans, etc) fix nitrogen by the action of symbiotic bacteria, they typically prefer poor soils, by virtue of being able to supply themselves.

Ideally sweet peas should be blooming by May in your area...no matter when that means you have to get them growing. In some locations, they're treated as winter annuals.

ladyrose65 thanked dbarron
  • jaynine
    9 years ago

Sweet Peas (Lathyrus) are heavy feeders that seem to particularly like well-rotted manure: mulching is also beneficial.

ladyrose65 thanked jaynine
  • ladyrose65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank You all for the good information. I was definitely planting them too late (end of May). I will try again this season.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

My sweet peas always thrived, and I had terrible soil! It was rocky and not amended, at the edge of the road. Sounds like too much of a good thing could very well be your problem? They really do like it cold, so plant them out pretty early. I pushed the boundaries when I had sweet peas, planting them a good two or three weeks before the last thaw (zone 6B/7A, so around the end of March). They were six or so inches tall by the time I planted them. Best of luck!

ladyrose65 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • ladyrose65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks rob333.

• Pongalong
    9 years ago

Agree with all these comments.

1. Plant early. (They like it cool)
    2. Don't under or over fertilize. Use common sense.
    3. Water well during dry weather.
    4. Make sure they have plenty of sun.

ladyrose65 thanked Pongalong
  • howboutbake
    9 years ago

Plant early, but make sure your soil isn't too soggy,
    Otherwise they will rot.

Ensure your seed isn't for a dwarf variety

Also, it can help to pinch out the growing tips when the seedlings are about 3-4 inches tall, to encourage branching and more flowers (assuming you are not growing to exhibit)
    If they stop blooming during the heat of the summer, they may begin again in fall if you keep them deadheaded and prevent pods from forming

ladyrose65 thanked howboutbake
  • kygirl1
    9 years ago

Any reccomendations on a very early good scented variety for cutting????

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I also had the comment about making sure they aren't a dwarf variety. There are climbing types, which can look like a typical vining plant, as well as potted types that aren't very tall.

Other than that, you probably already got the right idea from others, that you also may need to plant them earlier. Even as small seedlings, they don't mind some of the cooler temperatures that we normally think we want to protect seedlings and plants from. That was the thinking I had to overcome to get some good growth before the temperatures got too warm for them.

ladyrose65 thanked gardenper
  • treehugger101
    9 years ago

I am in zone 6b and need to start my sweet peas in pots inside. When do you think I should plant them? I always wait too long and they die from heat. Also, how do you keep the rabbits off the young plants? Thanks!!!

• Laurie (8A)
    7 years ago

Ken, I got it right away, and it made perfect sense. LadyRose, I struggle with sweet peas and it really is a source of disappointment for me. So I understand your frustration. I decided to pick a spot for them as If I were planting clematis, so I looked for cool soil, and yet pretty strong sun. Good luck.