Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

Planting my starts 2015

It is time to plant my seeds in cups so I have well established plant for spring set out. here we have a spinach in 26 used food cans. These were planted about med December. The beets were planted about the end of august. These beets will produce a lot of greens up to may. I'll set them out in the garden then and then the root will grow. All of these are in my citrus/fig greenhouse. This is the second planting of spinach. The first plant went in about the end og October and is on my roof under glass. It is setting out multiple leave and should be productive by mid February.

Steve

staris from 2014 click below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/balcony/msg0123330614912.html?32400

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sun, Feb 1, 15 at 9:18

Comments (26)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are my Swiss chard, leeks, collard greens, kale. The seed are planted in 16 OZ drink cups 2 days ago. They are in my bed room where I have enough room. All of these plants will go on my rooftop where it runs 5 degrees colder and last frost can be 3 weeks later than ground level. These plant won't be hurt by frosts where as the sensitive plants will be grown in 5 gallon buckets. They will already be producing by set out date.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cans in the window are planted with mustard greens. They grow so fast that they need to have a lot of root area. They too will go on the roof. My peppers are not shown but will grow in 5 gallon bucket and set out after last frost. I keep the plants in there buckets and let the root grow though into the garden's dirt. No transplant shock.

The cans at the desk level will be used to sprout sweet potato slips.

The tree in the back ground is a hardy chicago fig that I rooted in September 2014 about 4 months ago

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kale.Collards ,and Chard now sprouted and hanging in the greenhouse from nails in the north side wall. Temperature hit the 70'2 to 100's frequently.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My broccoli is up. The main plant will be grown for a head and the weaker plants will provide greens.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many of my larger plants like peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, and squash are grown in bottomless food and coffee cans for large plants and easy transplant. The video below shows how easy it is with my sweetlee tangerine tree. I do the exact same thing with my pepper that I grow in 5 gallon buckets.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AkMFbhlgB0

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My onions are planted 4 seeds per cup and will go in ground as cluster of 4 plants. They are under glass surrounding my heating duct. This will warm them to about 85F for fast germination.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The onions came up about 3 times faster when warmed by the heating duct.

The outside sprouts are coming along fine

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The leeks under the glass are up and

are now on my widow sills

I have Planted 41 drink cups with spinach in 16 once drink cups

They are now under glass surrounding the heater vent.

My pepper plants have been separated and are in their own individual 16 OZ drink cups.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

New plantings in the greenhouse while peppers are in the window

These are the greens growing in gallon cans at ground level

Below are the starts in 16 once drink cup hanging on nails on the side of my house inside the lean-to greenhouse.

Notice the tomato plant at the base of the ladder. It is 4 months old.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Starting new seed. My Detroit dark red in sealed containers inside my heating duct

3 of 8 containers visible.

one of many spinach plans on the roof under glass.

24 cups of boc choy in 16 Once cups covered with 12 once cup

The caps are to keep the mice. My house is infested with tiny mice of 1.5 inches from head to tail. They do not touch traps of any kind cheese, peanut butter, candy, and etc. be it snap live tip. nothing works so all cups get covered or sealed.

Steve

• halocline
    9 years ago

Where in the world are you gonna put it all?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most of these will go on top of my house i n my rooftop garden. the garden has a usable area of 50 feet by 20 feet.

Check out below link for most modern pictures over the years

https://picasaweb.google.com/111099372377958308731/HousePlants?authkey=Gv1sRgCI763rvAj8eLAg

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Video of citrus figs and veggies starts video

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Keven Thanks for checking my site out

My pepper plants have started producing flower buds. They range from 8 to 10 inches tall.

A group of 9 pepper plants.

One of the bigger plants at 10 inches. It will be safe to put these plants out in 64 days / USDA

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caned Swiss chard is ready to plant but I am going to get temps down to near 20F so I will hold off.

9 plants in gallon food tins.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All my starts are out of the house. My peppers are in the greenhouse or out side. My frost hardy plants are outside or in the ground.

Kale Collards and mustard fully aclimated and waiting for in ground planting.

Broccoli, kale Collards and mustard fully aclimated and waiting for in ground planting.

Onions, Broccoli and some kale just starting the sun acclimation process. these plants are on the north wall and get 3 hours of morning and 2 hours of evening sunlight. After 1 week they can be moved to get more light then out they go for full sunlight.

Bok choy getting solar aclimated.

Looking down on the table over the Bok choy.

I forgot to get pictures of the plants I put in ground today. They are doing well.

And of-course the endless fight against the invasive species weeds that threaten death and destruction to all of us. See picture below

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All the cold hardy plants have been remove from the greenhouse and planted. My 3 tangerine trees 2 Meyer lemon trees, 8 fig trees, and 10 pepper plants. I will start disassembling the GH as I get time.

sweet bell peppers that were planted 6 Months ago.

the other pepper plant from 6 months ago

Hardy Chicago fig. It really is smaller than a golf ball.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My first tomato of the season is turning. She is 3/16 of an inch in diameter.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pepper plants.

are outside on the north side of my house where they get sunlight for the first 3 hours and last 3 hours. In 4 days the plants will go on top of the wall for additional sunlight. In one week they will get enough sunlight so the plants can go to full sunlight.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Picking rhubarb regularly. Harvesting greens every day. All my plants have been adapted to sunlight and most have been planted in ground or container.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My pepper are on the roof. I had to stop watering them until they started wilting. They were light enough for me to carry them up 30 steps up the ladder and on the roof. I have 2 more to dry out and they will all be on the roof. . All the plants have many pepper on them. The peppers are about 5 inches long at the longest and should start turning red soon

Steve

• Tuija
    8 years ago

Amazing! In next summer, you are not hungry :D

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I only get a small amount of my food from my garden. I grow what is expensive or not available. I also grow the foods that have a lot of pesticide on them at the store. Figs cannot be bought. Apples have a lot of pesticides, Peaches that taste good cannot be bought. I have a pear that taste like an apple just before it turns ripe. We make pastries, pear sauce, and pies. These pears can not be found in any store. Straw berries are hard to find so I grow. Goose berries cannot be found. I grow most of my greens like boc choy, spinach, lambs quarters, purslane, Kale, and Collards. I grow unavailable fruits ground cherries,hardy kiwis and sour cherries.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

-----------------------------------The GREAT PUMPKIN will rise this fall----------------------------------------------

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

squirrel problems

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting