Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to all of this...

Posted by krill (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 10:55

Hi

I'm a first time grower so apologies in advance for any stupid questions.

I've just moved into a flat on with a very small east facing balcony.

I'm thinking I'd like to grow tomatoes and herbs this summer but wonder whether there's any point if the balcony only gets the morning sun.

I'm based on the south coast of the UK so it should be warm enough but wonder if the lack of sun would be a problem.

What do you reckon?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to all of this...

Hi and welcome!

My balcony faces northeast so I mainly get morning sun as well. I haven't had any problems with growing tomatoes in that situation. The main difference with my setup is that since I am on a corner and face NE, I do get some afternoon sun - but only in one corner and that is where I stick my veggies (so they get both morning and a little afternoon sun).

I think if the plants can get about 4 - 5 hours of sun, they will produce. Perhaps not as much as those in more sun or in the ground, but then pot-growing isn't necessarily for mass production!

Your main drawback for growing tomatoes might be your cooler summer temperatures, although aside from the global warming that has given your area occasional heat waves, there are varieties that do well in cooler summer climates and include those often grown in the Pacific Northwest, which has a similar climate to yours. In addition, people in that area often grow the plants in tunnels to conserve the heat (especially during the evenings).

o

thanks for you message Jenny

In the end I binned the tomatoes idea and have just gone with a selection of herbs (chervil, rosemary, chives, basil, oregano, thyme, sage and a small bay tree).

The sun is getting higher in the sky now and I reckon I'm going to get a good 4 to 5 hours of sun on a good day.

Now just have to let Spring really kick in and I'm away.

o

Good luck with the herbs! I'm trying to decide what to grow this year myself. I'm thinking of doing the oregano again (I have a pot still going from last year of greek oregano) and will probably pick up some others if I see them at the nursery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here