Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veggie suggestions

Posted by iyengar21 z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 08 at 16:45

I have a west-facing balcony that is approx. 10' x 3'. I'm already planning to plant some flowers and herbs but would like to add some veggies too. So far I have tomatoes and maybe sweet and chili peppers in mind but have no idea what varieties do well in containers other than grape and cherry tomatoes.

I would like suggestions from all you expert gardeners on what veggies do well in containers and also specific varieties. What size containers will I need? Also, when should I start seeds indoors? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting antsy for gardening season!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veggie suggestions

I had good luck with bush beans in a window box size planter. Also grow spinach in a window box type. I start it early in a clear plastic bag (winter sow). Works great. But - I do use new miracle grow soil for my veggies.

o

If you read around on this site you'll see that almost any veggies can be grown in containers. I'd let your choices be dictated by your tastes--what do you like to eat? Make a wish list of your favorites, then use the "search" function to find specific information on each crop. I have the best luck with self-watering containers--search for instructions for homemade earth boxes. They really cut down on watering chores!

o

With your spinach and lettuce, just take a scissor and cut off the outer leaves. They'll keep growing forever. One year, at the end of fall, I mulched my spinach real well, and that spring those same spinach plants started shooting out leaves. I had spinach in march.

o

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have decided to make a few of those self-watering containers. In those I'll put tomatoes and eggplant. I've also decided to grow jalapenos, spinach and bush beans and several herbs.

Thanks for the spinach suggestion veggievicki. Great ideas!

I have a new question now. While my balcony will be free of rabbits, squirrels etc., insects are another issue. I prefer not to use chemicals to deter them. I've heard marigolds are good for repelling garden pests but are there any other flowers that work too? Thanks!

o

I went a little overboard on my Balcony Garden =).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kumato/

Its starting to become a Jungle!

Sumilea

o

Insects are the reason I tried the spinach in the window box containers. No more slugs or sowbugs. I keep the planter up on a little plant stand and no earwigs either!

What insects gave you a problem?

Not sure if you have Japanese beetles over there. They've never bothered my beans yet, but they do go after my basil. I plant the basil in a round pot, stick a small tomato cage in it, drape the cage in some (bridal veil) type netting fabric. Works great to keep the beetles off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here