Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small, open barren balcony with full sun SW facing

Posted by tinan 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 22:35

Hi all!

We have a condo with south-west facing windows and a small, open and sadly barren looking balcony. So far all I have is a terra cotta pot of lavender which holds up well to the intense heat out there in summer.

I'd love some ideas for plants, I would especially like a tree or tall free-standing plant. We overlook the park which is nice but a little privacy screen would be great.

HOA rules I can't attach anything on the railing or have trellis etc. and no umbrella or awning either.

The space is only about 9' wide and 4' deep but I don't anticipate using it for much.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/93dYFwJiscU-32atn8Y-ueEjuJllwHquiz0YQjAtSds?feat=directlink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small, open barren balcony with full sun SW facing

I am glad I happened by this forum. I had a similar issue at first with my 7x4 balcony.

Have you considered growing fruit? My balcony gets so much sun that even the succulents die if their pots are in the sun in summertime (the soil gets too hot, I guess?), but I put a dwarf Meyers lime and a dwarf orange tree out there and they just love it out. They are evergreen, too, so they're good for privacy... as well as tasty fruit. I just put a dwarf pixiecot apricot out there as well, and that's even taller but it doesn't always have leaves.

can you put a freestanding bamboo shade up there? probably not but that is an option as well. Hope this helps a little.

valberry
http://stufficanmake.blogspot.com/search/label/garden

o

I can't put up any type of barrier, shade.... but the Meyer lemon tree is a good idea, I had also considered a fruitless olive but they are $$$!

o

Glad I stumbled upon this...please see my other post. I have trouble with Lavender in SOFLA but am encouraged to try fruit trees once again.

I say only this as I am clumsily trying to work out my own balcony.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here