Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size pots for tomatoes?

Posted by aker 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 08 at 14:51

Hi,

What size pot should I use for the following tomato varieties? I plan on just one plant per pot. They will be growing on my balcony. What type of soil should I use? Should I add any manures?

Tomato Balcony yellow
Tomato Totem F1 hybrid
Tomato Sub Arctic Plenty.

Thank you :-)

Aker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size pots for tomatoes?

A five gallon container filled with compost, with holes in the bottom along with some rock/gravel and some stakes to hold the plants up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o
RE: Size pots for tomatoes?

I am using 400m plastic pots (see below) and so far having superb results, the fruits are just coming in. I am growing Tommy Toe and Reisen heirloom tomatoes.

I have used organic potting mixture with a good scoop (half a heaped trowel) of organic blood and bone in. I have also added potassium sulphate. I water at least every other day, and use an organic seaweed based fertiliser.

If you're not into organic then it will probably be even easier, there are so many fertilisers and products aimed specifically at tomatoes.

You might want to consider mulching the soil like I have, it helps water retention and also stops the top of the dark potting mix from absorbing too much heat, so the roots are a bit cooler. Also putting pots inside other pots helps (though I haven't done this due to space/weight concerns). My mulch is sugarcane, I wanted lucerne but couldn't find any at the time.

You can also see from my photo that there some of the "spare" tomato seedlings are growing vigorously in what were supposed to be intermediate pots, since I ran out of space for more big ones. I was going to give them away or plant them somewhere, but a couple that I planted in a garden bed earlier are so tiny by comparion that I'm leaving them in their pots, and have put canes in for them to grow up. One of them is absolutely covered with flowers and small green tomatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Good Life 2.0

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here