Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory..a newbies question!

Posted by jules78 8 N. Hou TX (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 07 at 23:05

Hi all.. I am new to gardening and live in an apartment with a great large balcony. I was wanting to grow some morning glories on the railing. I have two plastic window boxes on the ground next to the railing. Do I need to stake up some fishing line going from the container to the railing to get them going? The railing is about 6" away from the container. At what length do I start training them? I have been reading up on older messages on here and am getting very confused. Thanks for all of your help in advance. I am already learing alot on here!
Thanks again!
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory..a newbies question!

Hi Jules and welcome!

Regarding many of the commonly sold morning glories, as long as the support isn't too wide, they can twine around on their own and by about 4" - 6" tall, they can start twining.

My balcony has a "shell pattern" fencing between the posts, so my morning glories can usually grow through the holes and twirl around as they grow upwards. I usually guide them for a bit and afterwards, they do it all on their own. A number of years ago, I had run some strings along a trellis that I secured to the rail, to give the various climbing plants that I grow in a trough box (usually the morning glories, sweet peas, scarlet runner beans, etc) a place to start before they get to the fence. The trellis reaches about 3ft above the rail, and I even put some additional florist wire above that to form an arch at the top that the vines can twirl around.

Generally, the vines will reach for the light and will aim towards the railing anyway. It's just a matter of getting them started when they are small. The fishing line is just another support that could be used if you want them to go a certain place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here