Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
balcony gardening

Posted by sunnymari79 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 14:27

I'm new to gardening! I would like to grow herbs and veggies on my balcony but I live in new York, next to the beach. what kind or veggies and herbs can I grow? how can I keep the pest away naturally? what time of soil and pots do I use? I want to have an organic garden.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: balcony gardening

By the way, I face the sunrise!

o

You have a lot of options, but one thing you want to check is that you choose herbs and vegetables that fairly tolerant, as many plants have a very low tolerance for high amounts of salt in soil. I have included a link to a few tips for growing vegetables by the sea. You will find a list of salt tolerant veggies in the article as well as some recommendations for enriching your soil with organic matter. I think you will find some useful info here.

Unfortunately, the article I included talks mostly about raised gardens that probably won't fit on your balcony. So I would recommend incorporating some of those soil tips into a vertical garden for your balcony. You can find tips for saving space with a vertical garden here: http://renters.apartments.com/space-saving-tips-for-balcony-and-patio-gardens

Here is a link that might be useful: Seaside Vegetable Garden

o

I'm having a lot of luck with garlic! I took an old clove that had a long green shoot from the fridge and stuck it in potting soil. In just over a week it's 6 inches tall with 6 leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here