Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wannabegrower

bugs! i got bugs!

wannabegrower
16 years ago

I've been doing fairly well with my little balcony garden. I planted lupins, some iris and gladiolus bulbs, cantaloupe seeds, pumpkin seeds, mint, spinach, delphinium, and other things I don't remember at the moment. Oh, and my new arrival, a little blackberry bush (thornless).

But... I have this infestation around my kitchen sink area of tiny little bugs. I think they're some kind of mite. They're certainly small enough. Most of them are reddish-orangey in color, though I saw some greenish ones yesterday and today. They don't bite, fortunately, since I found some on ME, but I don't want BUGS in my kitchen!

I'm wondering if they hitched a ride on one or more of the plants. I took out the trash last night in case there was a nest there, I've been spraying Orange Guard everywhere, I even went out and sprayed the plants (Orange Guard won't hurt them).

I think the water filter had something to do with it. I filter all my drinking water, and I've been using the water from the filter to water the plants. It's a Brita plastic filter, so I filled it up, let it go through the filtering process, then took it out on the balcony to pour water on the plants. I've found bugs INSIDE the upper part of the filter, making me wonder with horror if I've been DRINKING them in my daily supply.

So, folks, this is just gross. Can you advise me on how to get rid of the little unwanted inhabitants of my kitchen?

Comment (1)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

Because of where you found them, unless you try to get a picture of them and post, it might be difficult to identify them. They could be aphids or something else undesirable, in particular, a known apartment dweller that does tend to congregate and breed in wet areas (mites tend to stay where it is dry). You could try a soap solution and if that doesn't work, you may have to try a miticide like that made by Bonide.