Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squeeziemonkey

Parking Lot...

squeeziemonkey
18 years ago

I live in a building with a rather large stone parking lot that tends to grow a lot of weeds so I was thinking of spreading some flower seed's around to try and either push out some of the weed's or at least let the pretty flowers brighten up the area.

Does anyone have any recomendations on types of seed's to spread out? The soil is kinda' hard and has some gravel, it also gets great southern exposure.

Re-seeders and perenials would be great!

I am already spreading out some morning glory seed's by the fence that seperates the resident parking and resturant parking so at least I have a start!

I know that this isn't really with the topic of the thread but I figure that if you have balcony gardens then you might have the same parking lot space that I do!!

Thanks guys!~

Comments (8)

• radagast
    18 years ago

Not sure what to recommend except certain native prairie plants or ones that would normally grow in hot, dry, rocky conditions. Four-o'Clocks seem to endure almost any punishment they face and can survive in very dry and sunny conditions, at least based upon the ones growing up at my parent's house.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I've seen places sell what they call "wildflower mix", with seeds that are mostly what radagast indicated - prairie types that can take hot dry areas with minimal care. Eg., plants like coreopsis, aster, coneflower, various daisies, etc. I have read of places that have tried those types of seeds along highway shoulders to brighten them up.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Cosmos germinate well for me, and are great reseeders too.

Sue

• marie_in_wa
    18 years ago

Be careful with those "wildflower mixes" though they may have seeds in them that are considered noxious weeds in your state/county. The same goes for 4'oclocks and morning glorys.

Having flowers instead of weeds is a great idea, but you don't want to plant things that actually *are* weeds where you are and contribute to the problem.

• squeeziemonkey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Why are morning glories bad?

I love them and have been harvisting seeds (With owner permission) from all across the Chicago-Land Area!

I have a mix of about 7+ kinds and just got some seeds for red one's yesterday at H.D.

I'm gonna plant white Moon Flowers, Blue Morning Glories, and Red Morning Glories on my patio in seperate buckets so that I get a whole American Flag effect going!

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm gonna go with calafornia and oriental poppy's for now and have a cheep box of "Wild Flower Mix" but I think that the birds got most of them...SIgh... Wish me luck!

• marie_in_wa
    17 years ago

Don't get me wrong - I love the way morning glorys look. However, they are highly invasive, and will take over areas very easily. In several states they are considered to be noxious weeks, and I know that in Arizona at least, they are illegal to have for just that reason. I just wanted to caution you about the possibilitys of local laws :)

(The form wouldn't take this as a valid link. Silly garden web.)
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/weeds/

• squeeziemonkey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hum...I had better call my Grandmother...She lives in Tucson and I sent her morning glory seeds for her apartment patio fence...

I didn't know they were illegal out there... I SWEAR I saw seeds for sale at Home Depot exc. when I lived there!!

In fact, I know I did in Phoenix because I got a packet as a joke because, supposidly, you can get high off of them like LSD and my friends wanted a gag gift about my trip to Amsterdam!

That is wierd! When did the law pass??

• maximus2015
    17 years ago

Yes, the native prarie plants, or BULK Mixed seeds are a great idea. Gaillardia will do well, and various mixes of "WILD FLOWERS" will also do well in that type of soil.
    You can buy larger bags of seeds in garden centers, or they sell them in canisters.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting