Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squeeziemonkey

Make your own worm castings...

squeeziemonkey
17 years ago

OK, you all have convinced me that having worms in the pots is a bad idea but now I need to come up with what to do with all my little friends...

I have pulled them out of two of the really big pots I had them in and they have been breeding up a STORM so there are at least 100 of them in the bucket I put the soil in.

Checking out the soil it is primarily worm casting in appearance so I am going to try to get the worms out, dry it, then add it to my potting mix when I start putting my veggie's out onto my patio.

So I was thinking... There are dozens of devices for sale to make your own worm castings but what seems to make them happy for cheep is to just:

1. Take a home depot bucket & punch some small holes in the bottom

2. Lay a bunch of layers of newspaper over the holes to keep dirt from falling out

3. Put in a layer of soil

4. Put in a layer of shredded paper (Newspaper or white paper, nothing that could have toxins in the ink.)

5. Put in a layer of used coffee grounds or tea bags or seaweed (Or Nori)

6. Repeat until 2 layers from the top and add ½ a container of bait worms

7. Add the top two layers

8. Moisten the soil

9. Let the worms live happy lives for up to a year remembering to add some new paper and grounds every few months and keep the soil kinda moist

1. Harvest your worm castings!

If you do two buckets then you will always have an ample source of good soil additives for your houseplants, outdoor containers, and garden! Woot!

If I can keep worms happy and breeding just in a few small (in general terms) pots then keeping them happy in buckets where you donÂt have to worry about keeping plants alive and ONLY need to keep the worms happy then they will thrive! Oh, and once the population gets too big you can just scoop a bunch out and add them directly to your ground soil!

Good idea?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions