Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elisamama

Plants to withstand wind?

elisamama
9 years ago

My balcony is on the 42nd floor, facing west on a wide avenue with no obstructions. I've read lots of posts on this forum recommending plants that I've tried that could not withstand the wind on my balcony.

Trial and error over 16 years has lead me to concentrate on vines because they hold onto whatever they can latch on to in the wind. I am in NYC, which could be zone 6 or 7, but I've learned the wind at this height lowers the heartiness level. I've done best with plants hearty to zone 4.

I've had wisteria and honeysuckle for years; I am praying they return this year after a frigid winter. A couple of years ago I had great success with moonflower grown from seed. Last year I started grapes, 1 died and the other grew vigorously so I am hopeful it returns this year. Not sure if I will get ever get grapes, but if I do I am not sure they would be edible. I've tried tomatoes and other fruit and veggies; all the plants grow well enough but the wind makes the fruit small, very thick skinned, almost inedible and not worth the effort.

I am going to try morning glory if I can find young plants. I tried growing seeds this year and last but I ran into a mold issue both times.

I also grow herbs, which are low, colorful and fragrant, do especially well with basil, oregano, chives, tarragon. I am going to try multicolored chard again this year; it did well last year.

I am looking for ideas for other plants that can withstand strong wind, particularly compact vines, and would appreciate any and all ideas!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz