Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants to withstand wind?

Posted by elisamama 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 21:37

My balcony is on the 42nd floor, facing west on a wide avenue with no obstructions. I've read lots of posts on this forum recommending plants that I've tried that could not withstand the wind on my balcony.

Trial and error over 16 years has lead me to concentrate on vines because they hold onto whatever they can latch on to in the wind. I am in NYC, which could be zone 6 or 7, but I've learned the wind at this height lowers the heartiness level. I've done best with plants hearty to zone 4.

I've had wisteria and honeysuckle for years; I am praying they return this year after a frigid winter. A couple of years ago I had great success with moonflower grown from seed. Last year I started grapes, 1 died and the other grew vigorously so I am hopeful it returns this year. Not sure if I will get ever get grapes, but if I do I am not sure they would be edible. I've tried tomatoes and other fruit and veggies; all the plants grow well enough but the wind makes the fruit small, very thick skinned, almost inedible and not worth the effort.

I am going to try morning glory if I can find young plants. I tried growing seeds this year and last but I ran into a mold issue both times.

I also grow herbs, which are low, colorful and fragrant, do especially well with basil, oregano, chives, tarragon. I am going to try multicolored chard again this year; it did well last year.

I am looking for ideas for other plants that can withstand strong wind, particularly compact vines, and would appreciate any and all ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants to withstand wind?

Have you tried "cypress vine? Ipomoea Quamoclit - an annual vine, related to morning glory -- gorgeous feathery leaves with a profusion of tiny ruby red trumpet flowers that butterflies and hummingbirds adore. If you're in NYC, there's a stand with lots of vines at the SW end of the Union Sq. farmers market that has sold seedlings in recent years. Last year they only had white ones, but I want those red flowers!

It's a twining vine, likes full sun. Often confused with "cardinal vine" which is similar, but has broader, finger-like leaves -- also very nice, btw and worth a try.

I'm on the 15th floor and only get 3 to 4 hours of western sun on my balcony, so it never really took off for me, took until late summer to get a handful of blooms, but if you get more sun, it's worth a try. It will go gangbusters with full sun. I used to grow them from seed when I had a backyard garden/full sun, and they covered half my trellis. Your wind conditions are likely more challenging than on my balcony, but they survived lots of wind here. They met the "like a weed" test that my favorite plants all share - i.e., takes abuse, neglect and is generally hard to kill!

o

Cypress & cardinal vines - good suggestions! I just looked it up and directories say cypress vine 'is thin-stemmed and somewhat fragile' so I am not sure if it will hold up in the wind, but it is certainly worth a try; I love red flowers! I really appreciate the recommendation where to find it, so I will look for it at the green market. Thanks!

o

I'm on the 15th floor and only get 3 to 4 hours of western sun on my balcony, so it never really took off for me, took until late summer to get a handful of blooms, but if you get more sun, it's worth a try. It will go gangbusters with full sun. I used to grow them from seed when I had a backyard garden/full sun, and they covered half my trellis. Your wind conditions are likely more challenging than on my balcony, but they survived lots of wind here. They met the "like a weed" test that my favorite plants all share - i.e., takes abuse, neglect and is generally hard to kill!

Here is a link that might be useful: Motorbike Driving Gloves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here