Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie_in_wa

Balcony update!

marie_in_wa
19 years ago

Well, I have enough out on my balcony now that I just had to share!!

BEFORE:

{{gwi:1386}}

AFTER:

{{gwi:1387}}

{{gwi:1388}}

The green window boxes are going up on the railing once all danger of spring storms are pst - I don't want them blowing away.

Comments (19)

• posiegirl
    19 years ago

Looks good! Bet you can't wait to get them up!

• katwomn59
    19 years ago

Wow! What all do you have there? Isnt it a great feeling to finally have everything in pots?

Lydia

• marie_in_wa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Up at the top, I have from right to left -
    "sweet 100 hybred" cherry tomato
    a lovely apricot rose called "Westerland"
    and a president Greevy lilac

Next row down -
    Tomato "Purple Cherokee"
    Green Bell Peppers (Can't remember the type)
    Some green onions that I forgot about in the fridge and they desided to start growing - so I planted them

along the wall on the right hand side-
    Bella lavender - similer to spanish lavender, but blooms all summer
    a tulip called "Passionale"
    a bright pink hyacynth
    some tete a tete dafodils
    my son's strawberry plants
    and a cilantro

Along the wall on the left hand side-
    Gladolia bulbs that I got at the dollar store

In the left hand box from top to bottom-
    Basil
    Oregeno
    Marjoram

In the middle box (My simon and garfunkel box!)-
    rosemary
    thyme
    Sage

In the right hand box-
    Lemon grass
    Chives
    German improved chamomile

and in the bottom box
    dill
    There will be more in this box later, that's why the 2 empty pots.

The mints are from right to left-
    Peppermint
    Kentucky Colonel Spearment
    Chocolate mint (that I adn't intended to get - it was one of those jump into the cart things!)

I have some roma seedlings growing in my window that will get planted out later, and 7 more plants coming to me in the mail (Jalapeno, Cayanne, english lavender, catnip, lime basil, and 2 unknown basils - I had ordered cinamen basil, but they were out and subsituted 2 other types of basil) After that, I'll be all done :)

Wow, this has been a lot of work! Worth it I think though :)

• marie_in_wa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Does anyone else have any pictures of how their gardens are doing so far this year? I would love to see them!

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

No pics yet, but I was able to put my houseplants outside for the past two days, and it is SO nice to see some greenery out there!

• MegNYC
    19 years ago

As you can see, I got hooked into getting things started before I finished the clean-up. If I waited til that was all done, there'd be no blooms left on the cherry tree or forsythia, so here it is, as is.

{{gwi:1389}}

{{gwi:1390}}

{{gwi:1391}}

{{gwi:1054}}

{{gwi:1392}}

{{gwi:1394}}

After last year's messy petunias, I swore no more. But the velvety look of these called out to me, and this is the first petunia I've ever been able to smell!

{{gwi:1396}}

• whytephoenix
    19 years ago

Meg - lovely space! You've certainly brightened it up.

I do have pics but I'm having a bit of trouble with my web site at the moment... need to straighten that out so I can post them. In the meantime, I'm trying to clean up a bit myself... Yesterday I staked up my rubber tree, which was taking over the balcony, and today I made up a new planter... I'm trying to take advantage of this last cold front (that'd be cool-front to you northerners) before the Texas summer heat kicks in.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

Hey everyone! Good to see folks checking in and see everyone's stuff growing again! :-D My stuff is sprouting left and right and I've had to do alot of juggling of stuff because you know how us balconeers are when we get to a nursery or big box store and see something we "must have". LOL I even got a brand new camera to document it and am still fooling around with it but here's a few photos I took over the weekend of what's growing out there:

"Wine and Roses" weigela, strawberries, daylilies, pansies, alyssum, wax begonias
    {{gwi:284}}

Oleander, dicentra, peony, ferns, Methley plum, pee gee hydrangea, creeping phlox, new acquisition of Jacob Cline Monarda (holding for sis as I've already planted mine...lol)
    {{gwi:1398}}

Asiatic lilies, red twig dogwood, coral bells, lily of the valley, dappled willow
    {{gwi:1400}}

James Mcfarlane lilac (covered with flower buds! yay!)
    {{gwi:1402}}

Jacob Cline Mondarda (since the pic, I've planted Salvia guaranitica "Black and Blue" with the bee balm)
    {{gwi:1404}}

Some blueberry blossoms about to open
    {{gwi:1406}}

My theme this year is hummingbirds since I still haven't gotten over the visit I had from a migrating one last August. So next time one decides to come up this high, it'll find a feast! LOL

• marie_in_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I haven't been able to take any more pictures - I did a bunch more planting and boy, is my balcony a MESS! (I finally got the rest of my herbs in the mail) As soon as I get it all cleaned up and "picture worthy" I will post new pics :) My tomato plants have really taken off, as has my rose bush :)

Jenny, I am *sooo* envious of the size of your balcony!

Looking forward to seing more updates from others!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Hi Marie! Good to see you posting again. I think all of us know what you mean about getting our spaces "picture worthy". Sometimes taking the pictures at strategic angles can eliminate the views of empty pots stacked over here... or trashbags stashed over there... etc. LOL!

Just as a quick update - here are my Sarah Bernhardt peonies that are just about in full bloom today. The last bud just started opening yesterday afternoon and should be fully open by this afternoon. My peonies are about a week or so late this year thanks to the earlier weird cool weather this spring but I'm glad to see them finally going now that the heat is on:

{{gwi:281}}

I put a peony hoop on them this year but apparently it wasn't tall enough. :\

• VGtar
    18 years ago

Here's a picture of my peony. I shot it the other day, while tidying up the place. I still haven't finished that job, but then again, I think it's all right with a little mess.

{{gwi:1408}}

I would like to post some pictures of the rest of the balcony, but they got deleted on spymac.com for reasons I don't know. I had just saved the above picture to photobucket.com before it happened, otherwise I couldn't have shown you this either.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I love that peony color! It looks almost like a Karl Rosenfeld, which I wouldn't mind having if I only had more room. LOL I already have a baby Seidei tree peony that I am slowly nuturing which should bloom pink one day.

Your plants look very happy!

• VGtar
    18 years ago

Thank you, Jenny!! -The colour of that peony is a bit less vivid in real life. The name is 'Bunker Hill'. I bought it last spring in botanical garden. The tag said that it is cherry red, and the flower does look cherry red until it opensbut as you can see, it isn't. Last year I didn't get to see it in bloom because it got dry while I was away for a while. But now I know it's pink and I love it!

I found out my pictures wasn't deleted anyway, so here is another photo taken the same day (I'll show you the rest of the balcony later, when things get a bit bigger).

{{gwi:1410}}

• marie_in_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, unfortunately, I managed to fall over the weekend - landing on my rose bush and kocking over several of my plants - lots of dirt all over the place now! My poor rose - about half of it's canes were broken :(

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I hope you are okay!!! :-(

I bet your plants will be fine. I don't know how many branches of my stuff I have accidently snapped off because they were sticking out in my narrow walkway through the balcony plants. Consider it a pruning and I expect it might become bushier now. You still have plenty of season left to get some growth in. :-)

• marie_in_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I finally got around to taking some pictures (man, I gotta get a better camera than my phone!)

Here is a closeup of my westerland rose that *finally* bloomed today
    {{gwi:1412}}

Look! I made a pepper!
    {{gwi:1415}}

One side of my balcony showing my tomatos, peppers, rose, lilac, and lavender

{{gwi:1417}}

Some of my various herbs, gladoli (which the evil kittens attacked, so they aren't looking so good) tomatos, and my son's strawberrys

{{gwi:1419}}

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Marie - your space is filling in nicely! I love that rose bloom. I think multicolor roses are cool. This is just the beginning of the addiction. You just wait!!! Muuuuuaaaaahhhahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

• marie_in_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jenny - you know, I blame this entire thing on you! I was just going to put a few herbs out on my balcony - and then I found this forum and your pictures...Once I saw those, there was no turning back!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Heh heh heh heh.