Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Success with Roses in Containers/East-facing

Posted by patrickalan Zone 6/NJ (My Page) on
Sat, May 6, 06 at 7:48

I have had years of success in growing and blooming Roses on my balcony in containers. They get full morning sun up to about 1:30PM and do splendidly each year.

Along with Begonias and Petunias, lilies, morning glories
I find container gardening to be great.

I do grow herbs, but they are placed at the far end of the balcony when they only get "dabbled sunlight", or they burn up and die.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Success with Roses in Containers/East-facing

Do you have any pictures? We love to look at what others have so we get enabled!!!

o

What sort of roses? Do you have to bring them in for the winter? I don't have space to do that . . but my heart is longing to have roses. Help?

o

Jody - you could try some miniature roses (as opposed to micro-minis) - with flowers that are smaller than regular size roses but larger than the ones often sold in tiny pots at the supermarket.

There's actually a Miniature Rose Forum that you can check out to get some ideas. There are a few that are hardy enough that you might be able to keep outside where you are but protect from too much moisture, etc. I've found in the past with container roses is that they can more easily die from staying too wet in winter than die from cold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here