Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sungazer_gw

Windy Balcony - acrylic or glass wall ?

sungazer
9 years ago

Hi there,
this is my first post on this forum. I am very beginner with growing veggies&herbs, but I have a chance (I live in Andalusia/Costa de La Sol) living in very warm and sunny climate, to start growing. I live on the 3rd floor, but here is very windy (it's a cost and also I have a big mountain at my back).
I tried to start with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and herbs (basil, coriander, etc). Unfortunately, where I live is very windy (not everyday, but twice per week is so strong wind, it broke many of leafs on my cucumbers and tomatoes). Balcony is the only place in my apartment where is a lot of sun everyday, so if I want to grow, it has to be there.
My idea is to buy either acrylic or polycarbonate transparent sheet and build kind of shelter, not complete wall to wall, but just extension to cover plants against the wind.
Does any one have any experience with either acrylic or polycab., or glass, or anything else ?
It has to be sturdy, and needs to be transparent to light, so my plants will get sun, perfectly if it could be 'milky' or not 100% transparent for my neighbours :), but this is just an extra, I could live without.
I would really appreciate your input.

Comments (2)