Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Securing Window Boxes

Posted by ninty_feet_up New York City (My Page) on
Tue, May 9, 06 at 11:26

Hello!

This is my first time on this board. I live in NYC in a rental building that does NOT permit alterations to the window frame or sill to properly secure a window box. Does anyone have any recommendations about what type window box set-up would possibly work in this situation? Are there any brackets available out there that might hook into or in some way make use of the window sash to secure the window box? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Securing Window Boxes

Not exactly what you're asking, but I live in an apt with the same restrictions (although not that high up).

YardBirds (western US) has some nice looking hooks/holders for pots of different sizes. They aren't real cheap, but they look nice and hang pots over the outside railing.

While I'm saving money for more of these , I've bought some L shaped *rafter hooks* or hooks for holding tools in the garage or workshop. You might find a way to use them.

The url included here show a picture of a rafter hook.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rafter hook

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here