Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommend a window box plant

Posted by PoorOwner Northern CA (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 05 at 12:48

I have window boxes that are not very deep, maybe 6" deep and 6" wide.

A location that gets pretty much full sun in front of my window

I tried to grow gerbera daisies, it was great but now it is too hot the flower and leaves wilt unless I water about 3 times a day.

Can you recommend a plant that can be in FULL SUN, does not need watering as frequently and provide beautiful flowers through out this summer, not too tall, can live on short depth window boxes without drying up?

Of course, a cactus is not what I'm looking for :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommend a window box plant

You know what I ALWAYS hear that Californians grow in some windowbox or pot in those conditions? Nasturtiums! There are some that are gorgeous, and they will fill up the container like a little bush and trail down the sides. And they bloom all summer. You could also try some of the low-growing lantana or even some million bells or mini-petunias (which I noticed alot of places around here are selling instead of the million bells). You might even try a mini bougainvillea since they seem to mainly bloom when stressed - ie., when they are hot, dry, and potbound. lol

To try to reduce the watering, consider gettng some moisture-retaining crystals like SoilMoist into your soil mix and that will help.

o

What part of Northern CA are you in?
That would be the most important thing to know.
What people are growing in full sun in SF wouldn't last out in Walnut Creek's 100 degree days.
Some plants for very hot sun are:
Vinca (I have them planted in very shallow box).
They are both on the short side.
Marigolds (an old standby, but they do take the heat).
Million bells (Calabracha) These will cascade.
Lantana is good, however I've only seen it sold in gallon containers.
I always take a look around and see what the City is planting in full sun on the streets and in the shopping centers.
I would also consider mulching to keep the tops moist.

o

Sorry to be boring..but I find that geraniums flower all of the year except for two months. Nice to be guaranteed some flowers.

I think lavender looks really smart in window boxes but I don't know which type to get to be compact enough :-( My lavender in a pot goes all over the place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here