Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone with Morning glory picutes?

Posted by Christiansplants 8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 04 at 14:51

I have started to growing some monrning glories out of some hanging baskets and wanted an idea how big they are going to get.

Thanks
Christian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone with Morning glory picutes?

Here are some ("Scarlet O'Hara" and "Grandpa Otts") I had on my balcony last summer climbing up a trellis. They hit the ceiling (about 7ft up) and started doubling back down. This is with only a few hours of sun per day that hit that column where they were growing. LOL

o

• Posted by PVick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Tue, May 18, 04 at 0:34

You had to ask! This is my favorite pic of MGs, from the summer of 2002 -

The "trellis" was about 8 ft. up; when the trellis stopped, the MGs continued, wrapping around each other for support. I'd guess the vines were about 12-15 feet long ...

PV

o

Beautiful picture!!

o

I woke up to blooms! 4 of them, in all their "glory"!

Judging by the number of buds I see around... I think I may have a serious riot of blooms in the next week...

I've got mine one fishing line trellis, and they are nearly to the ceiling now... a good 8 feet... last time, they hit the ceiling and travelled another 5 or 6 feet... so they are going to get BIG :0)

Here is a link that might be useful: July 3 Blooms

o

• Posted by PVick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 3, 04 at 11:31

Nice, Ruggy! With your setup, it's going to be glorious out there!

I got one "Pearly Gates" bloom this morning - big and beautiful! Now if only the blue picotee will catch up and bloom...

What kinds are you growing?

PV

o

• Posted by Ruggy Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 19, 04 at 11:07

I'm up to about 100 blooms a day now! It's madness!

Check out 2004 - 07-10_17 - Morning Glories at my garden gallery... It's hard to take pictures from the balcony, but I do try :0)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Fishing Line Trellis

o

Mine grow up an 8 ft lattice wall and keep growing along the top. This year I decided to prune them. I cut the growing tips until I couldn't tell the plants apart. I think the flowers and leaves are bigger this year than ever. Then again, it could be that I've grown fewer in each pot this year too (put lillies in the pots, thought I'd give them lots of room). No MF buds yet, but tons and tons of MGs (Heavenly Blue - my favorite). Can't help but grin ear to ear in the morning looking at them!

o

Well I've some MG photos and some of the fishing line trellises w/ canopy over door.. and some other assorted vines and garden shots from this year... come in and enjoy the show Gordon

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gordonhawk/album?.tok=phwsrgBBVj1KlZLd&.dir=/9ca4&.src=ph

Here is a link that might be useful: MG and trellis and other roof garden shots

o

sorry.. the link below might get you in a bit better ...
the first link I think was for me to access it.. this lets you as an outsider do so

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gordonhawk/album?.tok=phA1.gBBJTaalZLd&.dir=/9ca4&.src=ph
Gordon

Here is a link that might be useful: roof and morning glory pictures a better link

o

Gordon, gorgeous, as always. I love looking at your pics.
You both inspire me, and discourage me, if that makes any sense.

o

Not to be discouraged MegNYC! Just Go for it and you could be happily surprised! I am growing MG and MF this year for the first time. Lots of vine and beautiful leaves and not one flower yet and if I end up with zero flowers; oh well! I am truly enjoying my plants! Ann

o

Here's my pot of MGs from yesterday. Not sure what all is in there, since all my labels lost their writing. They're doubling back on themselves right now and are quite a tangle.

o

Well I forgot to mention.. in the street planter and the string trellis there is a string going straight up to my window on the 4 th floor.. some 45-50 ' to the window. the morning glorys have reached the top of the trellis at 12' and are now on the string going up..
The question for the raffle is how far will the vine go.. to what height will it achieve... submit your guesses and the winner will get seeds of that purple and red MG pictured with the varigated leaves..
HAVE FUN... Gordon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here