Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronto_sal

newbie again

toronto_sal
17 years ago

Hello!

I used to be on here when I had a garden a few years ago, and now I have a tiny little balcony garden which I just got started yesterday. As you will see if you care to have a look, I really am pretty excited about it even though it's tiny. It's been about 6 years since I was able to do any kind of gardening!

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for the shady side? I'll be shopping again next weekend

www.mini-garden.blogspot.com

Looking forward to getting to know my fellow balcony gardeners :)

Sal

Comments (7)

• Pieonear
    17 years ago

Diascia and Bacopa might do well if you're looking for something that flowers. I love these two and work them in anywhere I can. They are non-stop bloomers for me and I like them because they drape over the pot.

I enjoyed looking at your pics. You've got some nice looking plants. The area in question isn't totally shady, is it?

• toronto_sal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Mammie! I've noted the names and I'll have a look for them today :)I like the draping idea, and I am looking for something that will flower for as long as possible. The area isn't completely shady, it's about 3/4 shade when the tree is in full leaf (if that's the right expression!)

Thanks for the compliment :) my family's far away and they love seeing what I'm up to, even if it's just a little balcony gardening.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Hi Sal! Glad to have you popping by! :-D

Torenia and annual lobelia (the latter which I'm trying this year) are shade tolerant. Both are low growing. Also tuberous begonias will grow in shade and there are many "hot" colors available for those. And don't forget fuchsias - there are many, including the upright and hanging types.

• toronto_sal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just got back from the garden centre - the begonias looked lovely, and the fuschias, oh my goodness!! Huge flowers! A little too grand for my humble balcony, in the end I got an impatience, I usually am not a fan, but this one is called jungle gold, and has a really odd little golden flower, and I got a Bacopa, which do look lovely when they trail over the edge. They're just tiny ones right now, but they seem like good choices for that area so hopefully I won't forget to water them, and they'll do well :) I also planted my little alpine strawberry on the sunny side. That was a fun afternoon. (especially the part where I tied knots into plastic bags to fill half the pot before adding the earth.. the pot was way too deep, I hope the plastic doesnt leach and kill the plants!!)

Sal

• Pieonear
    17 years ago

Sounds like you made some nice choices! I'll bet the Jungle Gold Impatient is really pretty. I haven't seen those yet. Happy growing!!

• cave76
    17 years ago

I got this idea from someone on this site, perhaps.

Collect alum. soda cans, stomp on them, and use them in the bottom of a larger pot.

I'm starting to do this, since lifting pots that are too heavy are impossible for me. Seems a really nice solution.

• Pieonear
    17 years ago

Cave, I've heard of using soda cans but haven't tried it yet. My husband would freak. He collects all our coke and beer cans and recycles them. I could tell him I'd be recycling them too, in a way...but with no money involved. LOL

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!