Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squeeziemonkey

Ideas to make transplanting eaiser...

squeeziemonkey
17 years ago

Just in case it has been forgotten, I figured that I would post these ideas again just to make some lives easier!

When you take your new sprouts and put them out on that windy, spring rain-soaked patio remember how fragile they are!

Take your empty soda bottles; cut off the top, punch some air holes in it, and you have a mini-green house for your "babyÂs".

My patio is a living HELL for my new plants but I canÂt keep them inside forever or else they will have a hard time adapting later so I took some plastic coated wire used for electronics and made spiral curls to support tender and fragile stems and put the mini-green house over them and so far all of my new plants are doing just GREAT!!

My new peas are growing so fast in the soda bottle that I had to drill a big hole in the top so that I could put a steak in the pot to support it!

And for the tender stems that are too weak to support themselves or for when the wind bends them down you take thick soda straws (Like from McDonalds or Jack In The Box) and you slice it up the side, cut to length, and slide it over the stem to support it!

IÂve used it on everything from big, primary, stems to branches to just big leaf stems! As long as you slide it on carefully so as to not pinch the bottom then it works a charm! Moreover, with the slit all the way up the straw, the stem can just grow out of the support and it wonÂt hurt it!

Oh, and IÂm using cheep, ($3.00) Home Depot Paint Buckets with holes drilled in the bottom as "Pots"! Sure beats paying like, $10.00 for a pot the same size! The white oneÂs donÂt look as bad as you would think as long as you take the metal handles off!

Um, I canÂt think of anything else at the moment but remember, just keep looking around and lots of "Trash" can be put to good use in the odd environment of Patio Gardening!!