Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer suggestions?

Posted by drew_dog Columbia, S.C. (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 8:08

Anybody got fertilizer suggestions for tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash in pots? I am new to the game, so I'll greatly appreciate some proportion and administration instructions, too. Please try to keep it cheap, too; studying for the S.C. Bar here & don't have a lot of income at the moment.

Thanks,

Drew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer suggestions?

The amount would be per the label of the product that you might buy. The type would depend on whether you prefer "natural/organic" products like fish fertilizer, manure, seaweed, etc., or the chemical fertilizers like Miracle Gro, Peter's, Osmocote, etc. Many companies sell products supposedly formulated for certain types of plants like tomatoes (eg., Espoma sells Tomato-tone I believe, which is a natural fertilizer and Miracle Gro sells a fertilizer for Tomatoes and other veggies, with a specific NPK).

o

I tend to do about half of the amount the the lable says, mainly because I'm worried about "burning" my plants. But they are healthy and growing quickly, so they must not mind being fed at half strenght too much :)

o

Thanks for the follow-ups, y'all. Can't say as I really care about the organic/manufactured distinction, though I'd go organic in an ideal world.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 21:41

Drew - an over-abundance of nitrogen in your tomato's soil can have a negative effect on fruiting. You may wish to consider using leaf color as a guide to when supplemental nutrient applications are needed - it's a good gauge. A dark green leaf color would indicate there are most likely adequate amounts of N, and probably other nutrients, available in the soil. A swing toward light green color or a yellowish cast or venation (visible veins because they are a different color) would indicate the need for nutrients.

Good luck.

Al

o

As a general fertilizer, I like Rainbow Mix.

It is a good all pupose fertilizer.

I like it because it is good fertilizer. It is also made from natural sources and is registered Organic. Organic sources have advantages and disadvantages, but I like that it is easy to apply and less prone to burn the plants.

If you do a lot of calculations and have your plant leaves analyzed for mineral content, etc., you can get faster growth and more production with other fertilizers. I have a whole lot of bottles of plant nutrients and bags of fertilizers, however, I keep reaching for the bag of Rainbow Mix because it doesn't let me down and it works good.

For your plants, the Bloom Formula should work fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here