Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it OK to plant seedlings in summer?

Posted by MJP_IL IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 10:31

Hello. I want to start a balcony garden (herbs like basil, cilantro, dill) on my balcony in Chicago. I was wondering if end of June would be an OK time to plant seedlings in Chicago? I would really appreciate suggestions. I am also thinking about using Patio Picker (http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/a6/a6baf22e-f3cb-4830-a4be-79a1f518c4cb.pdf). Looking forward to suggestions. Thank you!
Best,
MJP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it OK to plant seedlings in summer?

• Posted by vgtar z7 copenhagen (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 11:39

I don't know your exact climate in chicago I'm guessing it can get hot in some summers, but I think it would be fine, and that they should do OK. If it's very warm, you might want to place them in the shadow the first few days, or maybe even move them inside during the hottest hours of the afternoon. If they are large already, they might benefit from being cut down at transplant (your first harvest ;D )

Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here