Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nankleav

New Member - Where do I start?

nankleav
16 years ago

Hi, everyone!

I am so excited to have found this resource. I have a beautiful (and rather large) top floor terrace in Queens with western light (noon til sunset is pretty intense). Hoping to get started on building a garden with some sure-fire successes.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to begin? I'm hoping to get some color out there. So flowering plants would be great.

Thanks so much.

Nancy

Comments (5)

• PVick
    16 years ago

Hi Nancy, and welcome!

Where to begin? Get a few pots and fill 'em up with plants that you like! LOL!

OK, seriously - a lot depends on whether you want perennials or annuals (or both). There are sooo many choices!

Personally, when I first started, petunias and marigolds were my flowers of choice. After hanging around here for a while, my world opened up tremendously and now I try to grow everything I see.

For starters, before everyone else starts checking in (we are great enablers here), take a look at the link below - you're certain to get some ideas.

Rather large terrace, huh? Oh boy! We'll help you fill in up in no time!

PV

Here is a link that might be useful: Container pics

• organic_marzipan
    16 years ago

Welcome, nankleav! Don't limit yourself to just flowers, fruit and vegetables are colorful beasts as well! I've recently fallen in love with growing strawberries in hanging pots from my apartment balcony garden and they've been great for munching on when hanging out on the balcony with friends. They do well in any heat and sun. Good luck!

• posiegirl
    16 years ago

Welcome, Nancy! Can you post a pic of your terrace? Then we'll be able to give you all kinds of tips on what to do.

• paulallen
    16 years ago

I live in southern Brooklyn near Sheepshead Bay. Some suggestions for sun loving plants that thrive in containers:
    - Perennials -- coreopsis Moonbeam, platycodon
    - Herbs -- basil (purple is lovely), thyme, oregano, etc.
    - Fruit -- strawberries, blueberries
    - Vegetables -- tomatoes, eggplant, okra, kale, zucchini, etc.

Try going to the Park Seed Company web site and getting their catalog. You will find some plants that appeal to you and you can proceed from there. Good luck!

• greenfingers21
    16 years ago

I am French but I hope you'll understand my English. I live in Burgundy, in central France and own an apartment on the fifth floor. I have what we call here a "terrasse", quite big (60 square metres) and I started planting it about thirty years ago.
    If I had to give you some advice it would be to get pots or rather troughs that are quite big as plants grow quicker than you think, even if you buy so-called 'miniature' plants. In the long run they will get big ... In other words if you intend staying where you are long, think big for the containers. I have just had the heart-rending experience of having to get rid of some slow-growing plants, planted about 25 years ago, that had got too big for the troughs and possibly too heavy for the terrasse. It's a horrible experience, when you love plants. One of them was a beautiful pine (50 centimetres tall when I bought it) which I had to get rid off (it was 2 metres tall)and unfortunately I had to cut it and it was a sad experience. I would have liked to post a photo of it and the terrasse but I don't know how you can do it on this forum.
    Good luck with your gardening
    Greenfingers21

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH