Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with crocus

Posted by elbereth (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 15:08

I was forcing the crocus 'Pickwick' for this spring outside on the balcony. They were planted 2 to 3 inches deep, above my tulip bulbs in big pots. Only one bulb flowered this spring, and the rest just sent up leaves that died very soon. When I inspected them I found that none of them had a lot of roots, but I don't think it was because they weren't chilled long enough - the tulips had plenty of roots. The soil may have been too heavy for them. I discarded the rotten bulbs and cleaned the rest. What should I do with them now? Should I replant them or store them for the winter? And what should I do with the little bulblets that grew around the bigger bulbs? Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with crocus

The bulbs may have been babies when first planted and not ready to bloom. I would replant and let them try again next year. They should continue to form roots for the rest of the season. Next season, whether they bloom or not, they will hopefully still produce foliage which should be allowed to die down naturally, as that will help increase the bulb size for the next season. You can leave the little bulblets as that is how they naturalize to give you new adult bulbs in a few years.

In general, you should try to have them in friable, loose, and free-draining soil (not heavy) to help ensure that the bulbs won't rot. Seems the tiny bulbs tend to rot more easily.

o

Thanks for your help!

Elbereth

o

Good luck! I like to try to plant early bloomers like crocuses so that I can have something out there to remind me that spring is on the way! I am considering getting some snow drops to plant for next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here