Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold snap making my vines droop!

Posted by Rosa_Sharon 6z MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 16:37

I have some really pretty deck railing containers that have been doing beautifully! That is, they were until the temperature here in Boston just dropped to 50!!!
I just glanced out at my deck, and my sweet potato vines are drooping! what can I do to help them? Is it too late to cover them with plastic of something? They are much too heavy to carry in, and I don't have anywhere to put them anyway. This is so discouraging... :(
Thanks for any help ypu can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold snap making my vines droop!

I'm surprised they are drooping at only 50 degrees. I wouldn't expect to have problems until almost freezing temps. Have you checked for water? They are thirsty things.

o

I'd agree that the temperature drop shouldn't do that, especially since the soil in the container is probably still very warm after 1 1/2 weeks of high temps and despite the sudden onset of cooler air temps in your area. And yep, they probably need water as being dry is the one thing that really makes them droop.

o

My vines are all doing well and I'm in the same area. I do admit this weather is terrible but should be breaking by tomorrow. Good luck, hope you get to the root of the problem. *BS*

o

Thanks for the responses. I think the water might be the issue. I didn't water them yesterday because I thought it was too cold, or the day before because it had rained a little. I guess I need to just keep doing it no matter what! I just gave them a good drink - let's see if it helps.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here