Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat hurting hibiscus

Posted by sweetpea_on Toronto (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 19:06

We're having a heat problem in Toronto - 30+ every day. I have a hibiscus in a 12 inch pot (this is how I bought it) which is covered with blooms. However, a number of the leaves are turning yellow - I think because it is drying out so quickly with the heat. I am on the 4th floor with a terrace that is in full sun for at least 8 hours a day. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping this plant happy - can I mulch it with something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat hurting hibiscus

Water it as often as you can while the heat wave continues - twice a day may be needed. Mulch would be good - whatever mulch you have handy, pine bark is good. If you can rig up some shade during the hottest part of the day, it will be grateful.

Hibiscus normally produce yellow leaves whenever there is a change in conditions or they are stressed. Pick off the yellow ones and it will have nice new leaves within a few weeks (assuming it doesn't dry out and die in the meantime!)

o

Quite frankly I'd be shocked that the heat would be hurting your hibiscus. If I'm translating your temperature to F. right, your 'heat problem' at 30 is a cold front for us, where we grow hibiscus that become small trees.

Water, however, is a real problem; they're thirsty plants. Could you maybe just stick the whole pot into a bucket of water? We grow these guys in our wet gumbo soil and I have yet to see a hibiscus die of overwatering.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 28, 05 at 18:50

Though the top of the plant doesn't mind extreme high temps, the roots are far less tolerant of extreme heat. 30* C. = 86* F., still well within the desirable range for hibiscus, but add in the solar gain factor from a dark colored pot or a pot that sits on a heat absorbing material, & you may have roots that are unable to metabolize &/or move water. It would be helpful to shade the container or find another method of reducing root temps if the plant is in full sun.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here