Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smallest balcony ever

Posted by codyten 5 UT (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 20:52

My building manager calls my balcony a "Juliet balcony." It's about two feet wide and six feet long, just large enough to stand on. I'm on the 5th floor facing south so there's lots of sun, and I would like to have a container plant that can stay outdoors during the winter. Since the balcony is so narrow I can't have a large container, so does anybody have a suggestion for something that is small but hardy enough to leave outdoors over winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smallest balcony ever

As a thumb rule for a container, you'll have to get something that's hardy to Z4 or preferably, Z3 for your balcony.

o

Could you plant a little tree? Something evergreen, perhaps, that would be cool and green in the summer, that you could decorate with bird treats and lights in the winter!

While your balcony is pretty small, I don't know if it's the smallest ever. I've seen some that are simply a decorative railing nailed to the wall around a window!

o

Well, I went shopping yesterday and found the perfect solution. It's a Jean's Dilly Dwarf Alberta Spruce, a super cute little tree that works well in containers and is able to winter outside. There's even enough room in the pot to plant some small annuals during the summer!

o

Great minds think alike. I hope it does well for you!

o

That's just what I would have suggested. I know these Juliet balconies. They're a holdover from France, and you see them all over New Orleans. Good luck!

Judith

o

The tree looks great and I planted some petunias in the pot for some fun color as well. Yesterday I noticed some tiny bugs flying around. I don't know what they are, but I don't want the tree to have any pests. I have heard that marigolds are good things to deter pests. Any other suggestions to keep bugs away?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here