Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruggybearla

Evil Ducks and the Dock of Death

ruggy
16 years ago

Ok, here's a sad, amusing, and annoying story...

Last year, I joined the crew of a sailboat, and we race twice a week. We have a long dock, and I've taken to treating it as an extension of my balcony, and have spent a lot of time picking out plants and tending them, just to bring a little joy and color to the place... like you do...

So, it's racing day today... I'm walking to the dock, and I'm actually thinking about the plants I put in the big pot on the dock. I get to the dock... Down the way I see... the pot has no flowers. There's a ring of dirt around it. I'm standing there staring at it, trying to comprehend what I'm seeing. Skipper shows up and says, what are you staring at and I point to the flower pot. He says, someone stole the flowers? Someone had to have dug them up and stolen them! But I notice a withered dead plant near the pot, and say, there's a dead one, doesn't seem like anyone stole them.... I walk over to the pot... and I can see there's about 6 inches of soil missing.... and there... in the bottom.... 2 duck eggs.

These foul fowl beasties kicked out all my soil, laid all my flowers in the bottom, and nested on it! Guess it was too pretty!

Comments (15)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

OMG LOL Ruggy!!!! (but maybe not lol). So many are used to squirrels doing the digging but you provided a great duck nest!

You have to update us regarding if and when the ducklings hatch!

• ruggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, when I showed up for today's race, I saw Momma (she's been named Mildred, apparently) and I got some photos of her and her SIX eggs. I dropped the film off today, so I'll have pics to post tomorrow!

• ruggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:2701}}

Here they are!

• ruggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

9 eggs!

{{gwi:2702}}

• stacy_nm
    16 years ago

I had been thinking, "What a lazy duck, just taking over a 'ready-made nest' like that!" But with 9 eggs, maybe she's entitled to conserve energy however she can...

• ruggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I suppose she does at that :)

I'm not mad at her anymore, it's given way to excitement now :)

She was funny wednesday, she got into a LOUD squabble with a male duck, and we all laughed imagining the things she might be saying to him LOL

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

Oh my! This is going to be an interesting summer for you ruggy! Make way for ducklings!!!

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

awww I hope it doesnt get to hot in that pot for the eggs. baby ducks are cute.

• ruggy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce... Mildred (who finally sat still long enough to get a photo)

{{gwi:2703}}

• trudii
    16 years ago

I love this thread! I checked and ducks take about 28-35 days to incubate duck eggs. Assuming everything went well there should be baby ducks soon.

• posiegirl
    16 years ago

Ask PVick about her pigeons. You might want to throw out the duck eggs...

• klv13440
    16 years ago

I love it! We have had morning doves build thier nest in our hanging baskets in prior years. I always look forward to when the little ones hatch. Do post more pics when they hatch.

• flicker
    16 years ago

You should have seen me the day I found my large pots on the front porch all dug out, dirt scattered everywhere amoung the droppings. This was done by chickens. I love chickens--they are delicious--but not on my porch. And it is becoming a constant problem. My 3 cats feel that this is none of their concern. 3 BIG disappointments! Where's a chicken hawk when you need one?

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

I just put out some "Bird-B-Gone" spike strips on the "popular" corner of my balcony ledge and I will watch where else they try to perch to place some more (they ain't cheap either). With the hundreds of balconies here on both sides of the building (plus a huge roof), methinks it's time the pigeons here find another spot. :-\

Keep hoping my hummers chase the pigeons away too. LOL

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

This is hilarious! Thank you for sharing and giving me a good laugh :) I once had two hanging flowers on my balcony with a bird feeder hanging between them. Apparently a mother house wren thought it was an ideal set up because she built a nest in one of my hanging plants! Unlike Mildred, she didn't disturb the flowers. When I had to water the plant, I had to knock on the pot first. She would exit and I would carefully water around the eggs and then the baby birds under her watchful eye. When they grew up and flew the coop, I missed those little guys!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting