Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of plants

Posted by bumchick Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 22:18

I am putting up boxes on the railings on my balcony. I have direct south exposure 7th floor. It does get very warm and can be windy. Need suggestions for hearty colorful plants. Any ideas. I am willing to try both annuals and perenials.

Thanks Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of plants

Petunias! The waves and avalanche series are "cleaner" and can take a whipping. But any petunia would do - they'll give you continuous color all thru the season and beyond. Love 'em all!

Seriously, there are lots of plant you can use in your full sun boxes. For "taller" plants, you could use salvia, nicotiana, or fountain grass, for instance. For "middle" height, you could use petunias (upright types), sun coleus, dwarf dahlias, gomphrena; for trailers, you could use petunias again (trailing or cascading types), sweet potato vine, trailing lantana, ivies.

I tend to stick to annuals in my windowboxes, simply because of the overwintering issue (11th floor balcony in NYC); the (lack of) depth just doesn't cut it, unless you can take the entire box into a garage or something.

Someone recently posted this link - Plant-by-numbers. Nice site for ideas.

HTH ...

PV

o
RE: What kind of plants

PVick:

I saw an old post of yours and thought I'd send you a note for some advice. I'm kind of new to this.You had one posts that dealt with actual plants to put on a windy balcony.

I have a balcony that faces south in a 5/borderline 6 zone. I tried nasturtiums because they're so easy to plant and mantain. They did not like the very windy south west corner, but did okay towards the south east corner. Have you ever tried geraniums on a windy balcony? I see them in lots of photos from Europe.

I'm looking for something that trails from my window boxes and preferably in hot colours (red/orange and yellow) Any suggestions?

Bumchick:

How did you make out with your planting selection? Any advice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Balcony Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here