Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffers_gw

Complete Shade & Humid & Hot

Tiffers
18 years ago

I might as well try growing plants in a closet. I have a nice patio in my new apartment but it is set back into the apartment. And it faces south so direct sunlight in nonexistent. I have a potted Hosta and a Palm that are doing rather well, but I would really like to add some balcony/window boxes or some hanging plants. I'm trying for the French Quarter effect on a small budget. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• MegNYC
    18 years ago

Try fuschia for the hanging plants. Assuming, since you face south, you get bright light even if no direct sunlight? You could try impatience, torenia, begonia, caladium; all do quite well in bright shade.

• Gardener972
    18 years ago

Also, columbine, zebra plant (ligularia), ferns of all kinds, pothos ivy, epiphyllum, rhipsalis, asparagus fern.

• Tiffers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I do get bright indirect light. However the humidity is usually 90% or above. I think I'm going to try some trailing begonias and ferns. The torenias are a nice idea and I might try them out in the balcony rail boxes.

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

For a nice potted plant try acuba (I hope I remembered that right). They are normally planted in shady areas of the yard and are evergreen in the south. I have used them as indoor potted plants though.
    And what about chenille plant? I'm sure that is a common and not proper name but mine has bright pink fluffy things on it and does best out in the humidity (and shade) in the summer.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Aucuba are evergreen in the north too. ;-) One of my sisters has an old large pair in her yard (male and female gold dust, where the female produces berries every year) and they are planted all around my neighborhood as informal evergreen hedges in part to deep shade.

• LaurelLily
    18 years ago

That's the exact conditions of my front porch, LOL! Nothing's hotter and more humid than Houston in the summer. So, you should be able to grow any of the things that I'm growing, which include:

coleus
    calla lilies
    English Ivy
    Pothos
    Wandering Jew
    Aloe vera
    firespike (some like shade, some need sun--check before you buy)
    mint
    Persian Shield
    caladiums
    kolanchoes
    spider plants
    sweet potato vines (I'm about to be growing them there, anyway, and was assured they'd be fine)

For your French Quarter effect, you can take some of your climbers (ivy or potato vine) and make it grow up your balcony rails to give you a privacy screen. English Ivy, pothos, mint, coleus, and Wandering Jew will all be good for your hanging baskets (you can also use impatiens for color). The rest of the stuff you can just arrange in containers however it pleases you. Most of the plants I listed above do well with cuttings, so if you're on a budget, that's a big plus.

Good luck! : )

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville